Can I pick a later oath date after the interview?

shape12

My interview date is 2/28/07 but I will be travaling outside the US in early April. Do I have the option to get a later oath date after the interview so I don't have to rush for my passport? Thanks!

shape12 said:
My interview date is 2/28/07 but I will be travaling outside the US in early April. Do I have the option to get a later oath date after the interview so I don't have to rush for my passport? Thanks!

The way it works is you go to the interview and then wait for an oath appointment letter. Once you receive this, you can write back and request the date be rescheduled, HOWEVER this usually incurs months of delays and is not recommended. Much better to get your passport via expedited service (2 wks) or next day if you live near a regional service center and have confirmed reservations.

Thanks for the reply. I have heard that if you can take the oath at the same day, you will wait for about 2 or 3 months. If that is the case, I would rather wait for the oath letter. But I am afraid that the interview officer will schedule the oath at the same day...

Same day oath depends on your DO local policy and time of interview. If the option is available, I'm fairly sure the IO will ask you if you want to attend a ceremony later that day. Of course you can always say no, and you'll be scheduled in the normal way.

Note: you may receive an oath appointment as soon as 4-5days after interview, for an appointment 2-4 weeks beyond that. Other times, the letter may take a month or two to arrive - once again it really depends upon local policy.

When both my wife and I were processed (Dallas DO), the IO left the room (I'm assuming to get a second set of eyes and an approval) and came back with the "Congratuations" letter. Then she said "there's an oath on XXX and on YYY, do either of these work for you". We got the oath letters before with left the district office.

so, your mileage may vary.

Depending on your circumstances, you can an expedited oath ceremony. You can make a compelling argument that the specific you are required to at the school is ground to grant you an expedite oath. You simply have to craft your argument carefully. read below and also reffer to the specific section of the law.

(h) Expedited Oath Ceremonies. In certain circumstances an applicant may be entitled to an expedited administrative or judicial oath. See section 337(c) of the Act and 8 CFR 337.3(a).

(1) Expedited Oath Considerations. An applicant may be granted an expedited oath administration ceremony by either the court or USCIS upon demonstrating sufficient cause. In determining whether to grant an expedited oath administration ceremony, the court or the district director may consider special circumstances of a compelling or humanitarian nature. Special circumstances may include but are not limited to:

· The serious illness of the applicant or a member of the applicant's family;

· Permanent disability of the applicant sufficiently incapacitating as to prevent the applicant's personal appearance at a scheduled ceremony;

· The developmental disability or advanced age of the applicant which would make appearance at a scheduled ceremony inappropriate; or

· Urgent or compelling circumstances relating to travel or employment determined by the court or USCIS to be sufficiently meritorious to warrant special consideration. S ee 8 CFR 337.3(a).

(2) Requests for Expedited Oath Ceremony Requirements. All requests for expedited administration of the oath of allegiance must be made in writing to either the court or USCIS. Such requests must contain sufficient information to substantiate the claim of special circumstances to permit either the court or USCIS to properly exercise the discretionary authority to grant the relief sought. The court or USCIS may seek verification of the validity of the information provided in the request. If the applicant submits a written request to USCIS, but is awaiting an oath administration ceremony by a court pursuant to 8 CFR 337.8 , USCIS promptly must provide the court with a copy of the request without reaching a decision on whether to grant or deny the request. See 8 CFR 337.3(c).

(3) Expedited Oath Ceremony Conducted by the Court. Courts exercising exclusive authority may either hold an expedited oath administration ceremony or refer the applicant to USCIS in order for either the Immigration Judge or USCIS to conduct an oath administration ceremony, if an expedited judicial oath administration ceremony is impractical. The court must inform the district director in writing of its decision to grant the applicant an expedited oath administration ceremony and that the court has relinquished exclusive jurisdiction as to that applicant. See 8 CFR 337.3(b)

I hope this helps.