Can I loose my US Citizenship?

pedrop

Registered Users (C)
Is there any circumstances that would warrant loosing United States Citizenship for a person who was naturalized?

Please advise,

There is. Examples

Serious lies to acquire immig benefits like past connections to criminal, terrorist orgns
Refusing to testify in front of a congressional cmte within 10 years after natz
Refusing to bear arms, within a certain time period (not 100% sure of this)
Taking oath in another country with intent of losing CZ

By and large, de-natz is an extreme step and is not done often

What if someone moves out to their home country (for personal reasons or otherwise) after getting the Citizenship? Would having just a Bank account and some minor ties to US help one retain their CZ? How seriously does the INS/USCIS consider in revoking your US CZ in such a situation?

If you get on Ayatollah Ashcrofts bad side even US borns citizens can be stripped of their citizenship.

Otherwise, short of taking up arms against the US a naturalized citizen will not get denaturated.

A couple of Nazis lost their citizenship 50years later when the goverment decided that they had lied on their naturalization application.

Very Possible

USCIS can bring a denaturalization case "administrative denaturalization" within two years of naturalization if you were found to have lied on your application. However, this is unusual and highly unsuccessful, unless you were a member of the communist party or a Natzi, and then they can denaturalize you indefinately.

This legal brief explains an instance of such case http://www.visaandgreencard.com/CM/Articles/BurdenOfProofModifiedInDenaturalizationCases.asp

It's rare, but possible! :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Passport Address if not residing in USA?

if the person has minimal ties in US (bank account) what will be address on the person's passport.

I mean he is US CZ but his residence is out of US (due to a job outside US). Will they issue him passport with residence address out of USA?

CP-QUERY said:
I mean he is US CZ but his residence is out of US (due to a job outside US). Will they issue him passport with residence address out of USA?

How did he leave US w/o a passport?

My passport (non-US) passport has my residential address

I have not seen US passport.

But My passport (non-US) passport has my residential address of my country.
So I was confused.

Thanks guys.

Clarification

I think a lot of people are confused about Naturalization with Permanent Residency. The question of Naturalization and residency keeps poping up.

A Naturalized citizen of the US, has the same rights as a Natural-born Citizen, except for one thing, they cannot become the President (This is under consideration...thanks to Arnold.) Therefore, there is noting that say's that you have to reside in the US, so if you get your naturalization today, and decide to pack your bags tommorow and move to Urbekistan for ever, you will remain a US citizen till the day you renounce your citizen!

CP-Query, your question makes no sense. (1) How would you naturalize with minimal ties in the US? unless you were are under the age of 18, and either of your parents are citizens or were naturalized, then you would have to come here first...that means you have ties. (2) If you were already a US Citizen, you can get a passport from the Embassy withouth any US ties, and have a foreign address, but you have to establish your eligibility. BC, Naturalization Certificate, etc.

Phillydude --> How did he leave US w/o a passport?? I'm curious too, please explain.

It is not so easy for even the government to take away your citizenship unless it is a very very serious charge. Only very specific cases empower CIS or the government to start proceedings for revoking your citizenship. Even then you have recourse to law to fight such a move and can even hope to be judged in your favor.
Go to this link to learn more - http://www.newcitizen.us/losing.html

If that does not assure you, read up on the laws pertaining to revocation of citizenship, which are found in Sections (ACT) 340 and 349 of the Immigration and Nationality Act. You should find links to these from the uscis website.

Finally if you are still in doubt, consult a competent lawyer.

HTH

The key advantages of citizenship over long term GC are:

-- It is NOT taken away from you just for staying out of the country, no matter how long.

-- It can't be taken away from you for 'regular' criminal behaviour. (accident with DUI, tax evasion....)

-- You can vote.