Can I keep continue to work

AbyRai

Registered Users (C)
Good morning:
I have filed for I-485 under 2B category (i.e. Unmarried son or daughterof Lawful premanent resident).

My H1B is ending this month end, and I have not received EAD ('coz it takes aound 90 days to receive EAD),
Am I eligible to work lawfully between the period after my H1b expiration and I don't received my EAD?

Please let me know, 'coz otherwise I will loose my job.

Thanks again...

AbyRai said:
Good morning:
I have filed for I-485 under 2B category (i.e. Unmarried son or daughterof Lawful premanent resident).

My H1B is ending this month end, and I have not received EAD ('coz it takes aound 90 days to receive EAD),
Am I eligible to work lawfully between the period after my H1b expiration and I don't received my EAD?

Thanks again...
Lawfully you are not eligible to work. You can work as volunteer though. ;)

AbyRai said:
Good morning:

Thanks again...

Technically you can't work. You will be in status but as far as work is concerned i don't think you can.

AbyRai said:
Good morning:

Thanks again...

I agree with the other answers in here. Though you would have legal status to stay, you would accure illegal employment if you work without the EAD.

sap12452003 said:
Technically you can't work. You will be in status but as far as work is concerned i don't think you can.

However, illegal work won't be an issue if you are IR of USC.

sap12452003 said:
However, illegal work won't be an issue if you are IR of USC.

If it was me, i wouldnt take this advice.

If you have worked illegally and are applying for GC as the immediate relative of a USC, your illegal employement is forgiven. This doesnt necessarily mean you can start working illegally(without EAD) after you apply for GC on the hope that you would be forgiven.

AbyRai,
There are people who walk-in to the DO to explain their situation and get their EAD approved pretty soon. I cant promise you that it would work, but you could try. Take supporting letters from your employer and proof that your H1B is expiring and explain the hardships if you lose your job because you dint get your EAD on time.

BTW, how many days is it since you applied for your EAD? Some people here got it in ~30 days from their ND. Look at the excel sheet here http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?p=1239670

Hope this helps.