Can I get J1 visa if not officially graduated yet

kamal_J1

Hello All:
Someone knowledgeable please answer my question..
I have submitted my PhD thesis, and my advisor has accepted it. it is a good thesis, and i have publications based on it. But as part of the Univ requirement, the thesis is sent to external reviewers (i.e. to professors of other univs), and it has been 4 months, and I am still waiting to hear back from them. Which means i have not officially graduated until the external review is done.
but in the meantime, I have received a post doc position from a good Univ in US, who have just mailed me the DS2019.

my Question is if I apply for a J-1 visa at the consulate., do I have to show the Graduation cert ?? or is a letter sufficient that I have submitted my thesis (my univ gave me one when i submitted my thesis)..

thanks
KNV

The designated sponsor, whose name and telephone number can be found on the Form DS-2019, should be contacted for questions and concerns about your Form DS-2019. Your designated sponsor is responsible for assisting and advising you on all matters regarding your exchange visitor program.