Can I get a CA. Driver's License?

csm

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am in the US on a visitor visa. The Visa expires on November 10th, My fiancé will be eligible to apply for his US Citizenship on Oct. 1st. We are planning to get married this August.

If my fiancé applied for my I-130, in October as a Green Card Holder
can I get a social security number? a work authorization? A driver's License?

Please advise as to what's the best thing to do!!

Thanks a lot,

yes, you can. Once you received the NOA(I797), you can take that to your social security office then BMV or DMV along with your passport to get the SS# and driving license. Make sure you go to a bigger BMV because the small ones often doesn't know what I797 is.

csm said:
Hi,

I am in the US on a visitor visa. The Visa expires on November 10th, My fiancé will be eligible to apply for his US Citizenship on Oct. 1st. We are planning to get married this August.

If my fiancé applied for my I-130, in October as a Green Card Holder
can I get a social security number? a work authorization? A driver's License?

Please advise as to what's the best thing to do!!

Thanks a lot,
Unfortunately the answer is No. Greencard hoder filing I 130 for spouse won't give any status or any benifit to spouse.

You can get a driver's license which will expire on the date stamped on your I-94. That's pretty much it. However, please check with DMV as the laws have changed since 9/11

Do we need the ORIGINAL PASSPORT?

Do we need the ORIGINAL PASSPORT to renew the DRIVERS LICENSE in CA.
Just last week I have sent my passport to the Consulate to get a NEW PASSPORT as my current passport expires in another 6-months.
I have just noticed today that I have to go to the Drivers License Renewal.
I have original I797.
Please if somebody knows any information on this throw it my, I really apprecite it.

amishah said:
Unfortunately the answer is No. Greencard hoder filing I 130 for spouse won't give any status or any benifit to spouse.

Spouse of green card holder
As a spouse of green card holder, you must wait for a visa number become available for you. If you remain in the US must be in a lawfull status, meaning with a valid not expired non-immigrant visa. You won't be able to work except if you have a non-immigrant visa that alouds you to do so. If your relative becomes a US citizen, then your unlawfull presence will be forgiven. Check the rules on www.uscis.gov

Driver's license
There is a thread about Driver's license outside the forum for marriage and relative cases.

The rules on Driver's license has change since 9/11 and put in practice on 2003. Most of the State's DMV ask proof of your legal stay and a social security number. You must go with original documents. Proof of your legal stay must of them ask for your EAD (employment authorization document)or a green card or the stamp in your passport with an immigrant visa. In some DMV (the little or out of the city) accept the I-797 notice of action of your I-485 as a proof of your legal stay, which actually should be accepted because people in a pending AOS are in an "authorize stay by the Attorney General", but most DMV ignore that federal law!

Good luck,