can I file two 485 petitions at the same time?

Registered Users (C)
I filed my employment based 485 at dec.2003,pending for 2 years, got married to a US citizen recently, questions:

Can I file another 485 petition through marriage? Does it going to slow down my employment based 485 case?
If I file an petition in Chicago but my future address is going to be at PA state, what is the effect of my case? I was told all the marriage case will come to Chicago center first, does it true?
If my lawyer is in Chicago and I am going to move to PA, does it matter where I pick up a lawyer?

I appreciate any advice.

Thank you!
:confused:

>>Can I file another 485 petition through marriage?
Yes you can adn you’ll have to pay new fees accordingly.
However, only one of your I-485s can be adjusted. You’ll have to withdraw your first I-485 prior to your marriage based AOS interview.

>>>Does it going to slow down my employment based 485 case?
Not at all. Different categories – different processing time.

>>>If I file a petition in Chicago but my future address is going to be at PA state, what is the effect of my case?
You’ll have to notify INS about your new address. If you move to the new district with a slower processing time schedule you might have to wait longer for your interview, and the opposite.

>>>>>I was told all the marriage case will come to Chicago center first, does it true?
Not to the Chicago center, but to the Chicago lock box, the special pre-processing unit:
http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-485.htm#fba

>>>>If my lawyer is in Chicago and I am going to move to PA, does it matter where I pick up a lawyer?
Absolutely not.

Good luck!

Jane Green said:
>>Can I file another 485 petition through marriage?
Yes you can adn you’ll have to pay new fees accordingly.
However, only one of your I-485s can be adjusted. You’ll have to withdraw your first I-485 prior to your marriage based AOS interview.

My understanding is whichever application gets approved first automatically cancels the other, so you dont have to withdraw your other application. Correct me if im wrong.

It's correct. You can go through different ways for permanent residency. So he can have a pending employment base application and apply base on family (marriage). Whatever application comes first with a result the other gets out.
Good luck!

ari4u said:
My understanding is whichever application gets approved first automatically cancels the other, so you dont have to withdraw your other application. Correct me if im wrong.

Form what I learned (from the Internet :cool: ) it is OK to have two pending I-485, however INS wouldn’t automatically cancel one petition when the other gets approved.
They will ask the petitioner himself properly withdraw it.
So, if you come to the interview with two pending petitions, even though all eligibility requirements were met, INS might still delay the approval of your GC until the other I-485 gets properly closed.
Here is one example:
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=169701