Can I file I-485 on my own? Attorney is delaying..

GC-SVK

Registered Users (C)
Folks - Can I file the I-485 and I-765 on my own or do I need to compulsorily do this through an attorney? My company's attoney is swamped with applications and will not tell me how long it will take him to file my I-485. I do not want to be cut-off if there is a mid-month retrogression in July (esp. for India).

Has anyone filed I-485 on their own and shre their experience on the pros and cons of filing I-485 on my own vs. using an attorney? Could there be problems in future if I file on my own and there is an RFE later?

Thanks in advance!

You can certainly file I-485 without an attorney if you follow the form instructions closely and do all the necessary research (browsing through these forums is one of the ways to do research). Filing I-485 is much easier than filing I-140.

Pros and cons of filing without an attorney are obvious - you save the money and have more control over what precisely gets filed on your behalf (and when), but you lose the added sense of security from having a paid professional represent your case. But it is doable. I've done it.

If you should receive RFE later (there aren't really very many reasons to, at I-485 stage, if your medicals are in order and you send in all the documents required), you can always engage an attorney then.

Good luck!

Please let us know how assembled the application.

You can certainly file I-485 without an attorney if you follow the form instructions closely and do all the necessary research (browsing through these forums is one of the ways to do research). Filing I-485 is much easier than filing I-140.

Pros and cons of filing without an attorney are obvious - you save the money and have more control over what precisely gets filed on your behalf (and when), but you lose the added sense of security from having a paid professional represent your case. But it is doable. I've done it.

If you should receive RFE later (there aren't really very many reasons to, at I-485 stage, if your medicals are in order and you send in all the documents required), you can always engage an attorney then.

Good luck!

Please let us konw hoe you assebled the application.

I saw below information in someother forum. Is this correct? How to pay fees for I-765 and I-131?? Do we have to send three checks one for I-485 ($395), one for I-765 and one for I-131?

Please post a response.

I-485 Check List
• Birth Certificate
• Copy of page with nonimmigrant visa
• Photos – 2 nos.
• Write A# or name with a pencil on the back of the photos
• Finger Printing (this is done after the I-485 is filed)
• Medical Exam Form (I-693)
• Form G-325A (this does not have a check list)
Evidence of Status
o Copy of I-94 showing admission to the United States
o Copy of approval of I129 extension (H1B extension notice) for primary
o Copy of approval of I539 (H4 extension)
• Employment Letter from Employer (original)
Evidence of eligibility
o Copy of I-140 approval (primary applicant)
o Copy of Marriage Certificate (derivative status)
• Filing Fee

I-131 Check List
• Govt. ID (driver’s lic. Or passport)
• AOS Receipt (not required for first time filing along with I-485 form)
• Photos – 2 nos.
• Letter explaining why you require AP
• Filing Fee

I-765 Check List (submit in following order)
• Copy of I-94 (front and back)
• Copy of last EAD (for renewal only)
• Photos – 2 nos.
• Filing Fee

I saw below information in someother forum. Is this correct? How to pay fees for I-765 and I-131?? Do we have to send three checks one for I-485 ($395), one for I-765 and one for I-131?

I sent three separate checks for each of the forms. Also, I didn't divide the checklist into 3 groups, but rather made an all-inclusive checklist that satisfied all form requirements. But let's go through your list...

I-485 Check List
• Birth Certificate
WITH certified translation - you can translate it yourself, but then have a friend/colleague, fluent in both your native tongue and English, sign a simple form (found at http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=fe529c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD) in front of a notary
• Copy of page with nonimmigrant visa
While you're at it, include photocopy of your entire passport. Of the biographic page, make a COLOR ENLARGED COPY.
• Photos – 2 nos.
Name, since you won't have A# until I-485 receipt
• Medical Exam Form (I-693) (filled out by civil surgeon, results in a sealed envelope)
• Form G-325A (this does not have a check list)
• Copy of I-94 showing admission to the United States (front and back)
• Copy of approval of I129 extension (H1B extension notice) for primary
• Copy of approval of I539 (H4 extension)
• Employment Letter from Employer (original)
• Copy of I-140 approval (primary applicant)
• Copy of Marriage Certificate (derivative status)
• Filing Fee (I'd put this first!)

If you amend your first checklist as I suggested, as well as add I-765 and I-131 forms (with filing fees and photographs), AP supplement letter and driver's license, you will have covered all the bases.

I-131 Check List
• Govt. ID (driver’s lic. Or passport)
You've already provided passport copy (see above), but attaching an ENLARGED COLOR (if possible) copy of driver's license wouldn't hurt
• AOS Receipt (not required for first time filing along with I-485 form)
• Photos – 2 nos.
• Letter explaining why you require AP
• Filing Fee

I-765 Check List
• Copy of I-94 (front and back)
• Copy of last EAD (for renewal only)
• Photos – 2 nos.
• Filing Fee

I also recommend writing a cover letter for your I-485/I-765/I-131 package. Something like this:

I-485, ORIGINAL SUBMISSION

U. S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Nebraska Service Center
[Address you're filing to]

[Date]

Re: I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status
Applicant: [Your Name]

Dear Sir/Madam,
Enclosed please find my Form I-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status), supporting documents and evidence in the following order:

[Your list]

Thank you for your consideration and help in this matter. If you have any questions about this application, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely yours,

[Your Name]
[Your contact info]

Hope this helps. Good luck! :)

Thank you very much for the response. What I am thinking is to place I-485 and its related supporting documents along with the pictures. fees and medical report as one part, I-765 and its related documents along with the pictures and fees as one part and I-131 and its related documents along with the pictures and fees as one part. Use a thick fastner to put these three applications together. Use asticky to identify each application and stickies for all other documents separately for I-485. Do I have to send recent pay checks and/or last three years W-2/1040 along with these documents? Do we need to do the same for my wife, who is working on an H1?

Please respond.

What I am thinking is to place I-485 and its related supporting documents along with the pictures. fees and medical report as one part, I-765 and its related documents along with the pictures and fees as one part and I-131 and its related documents along with the pictures and fees as one part. Use a thick fastner to put these three applications together. Use asticky to identify each application and stickies for all other documents separately for I-485. Do I have to send recent pay checks and/or last three years W-2/1040 along with these documents? Do we need to do the same for my wife, who is working on an H1?

1. You do what you want to do. I only make suggestions based on my experience.

2. I filed without dependents and in EB-1 EA field (no permanent job or income proof required), so I'd rather let somebody else answer your last questions.

Last edited by a moderator: