Can I change my name between Interview and Oath? Please asvise!

mara777

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys,

When I had my interview on November 9, I did not want to change my name because I had a hope for an Oath in November or December and did not want any delays. Now that my interview in January, I am wondering if it would be possible to take Infopas and ask to change the first name and the spelling of the last name. What do you think?

If the answer is "Yes", would it be a problem if in my Russian passport the name would be different from my US passport? For example, in Russian "Aleksandra" and "Sasha" represent the same name, "Sasha" is just an informal version of "Aleksandra". Would it be O.K. for the US passport control if somebody is "Aleksandra" in Russian passport and "Sasha" in the US passport?

Are there any Russians on the forum? Do you think it would be also O.K. for Russian authorities?

You need to change your name through the court. USCIS, at least in CA does not do it anymore. Btw, why do you care if your USA passport has a different name from RU passport? You are not showing both passports when you are crossing the borders.

Also, USA does not support dual citizenship.

Hi guys,

When I had my interview on November 9, I did not want to change my name because I had a hope for an Oath in November or December and did not want any delays. Now that my interview in January, I am wondering if it would be possible to take Infopas and ask to change the first name and the spelling of the last name. What do you think?

If the answer is "Yes", would it be a problem if in my Russian passport the name would be different from my US passport? For example, in Russian "Aleksandra" and "Sasha" represent the same name, "Sasha" is just an informal version of "Aleksandra". Would it be O.K. for the US passport control if somebody is "Aleksandra" in Russian passport and "Sasha" in the US passport?

Are there any Russians on the forum? Do you think it would be also O.K. for Russian authorities?

Alexandra is a beautiful name. Why do you want to change it? Yes you can, and as a matter of fact I changed mine. My old dusty passport has different name on it. But Im not intending to renew it. In you case it's different. Because you wanna use two passports for travel to avoid a visa hassle on Russian Border control. Alexsander(a) and Sasha it's the same name, it's like Bill and William. Sveta- Svetlana, Galya - Galina. Ira - Irina etc. You should be alright, You don't have to worry about passpot in that case, you should worry about tickets, and different names on it. You'll be alright on direct flight, but God forbid, if you got one or more stops in the countries that never heard name Sasha or Alexandra. "Оставь имя Александра. Очень красивое имя, не надо тебе быть Сашей" :D:D:D:D

Thank you so much Uncle Joe, and CONGRATULATIONS! You didn't post your Oath experience, did you? Why not?

oi, ochen noga russki! :D

O.K., you saw two posts, and to my opinion two is "a lot" only if in my vision or my mind everything is doubled, tripled, quadruple, etc.
But probably this is normal for people on the day taking the Oath!

What do you think of the name change? Do you have nicknames in Italian? Would it be a problem if your US passport had nickname and your US passport -- the full name?

O.K., you saw two posts, and to my opinion two is "a lot" only if in my vision or my mind everything is doubled, tripled, quadruple, etc.
But probably this is normal for people on the day taking the Oath!

What do you think of the name change? Do you have nicknames in Italian? Would it be a problem if your US passport had nickname and your US passport -- the full name?

My wife is russian as well, but she doesn't hold ukrainian citizenship anymore.
And since her father's name is Aleksandr, when she changed her name after getting married, she put the americanized patronimic as middle name: Aleksandra.
I love it.
In Italian we don't have patronimics, or nicknames. We could have middle names, but no name change is allowed (only a judge could grant for exceptional reasons).
For example, my wife applied for italian citizenship and that will go by her birth certificate, so on her italian passport she will have her maiden name (+patronimic), while on her US passport she has her married name. No big deal even with the airlines because dual citizens usually travel with both passports so it's easy to explain.
Also, when you fly to Russia you show your US passport to the airline employees, no problem. You use your russian passport to enter (immigration doesn't check the ticket, especially on arrival), then your US passport will be required while checking in at the russian airport because they want to see your legal status in the US. And at passport control (in exit) you show your russian passport anyways.
No problems, just buy your ticket with the name on the US passport.

Last edited by a moderator: