Can I change address before getting the Card?

ramrbala

Registered Users (C)
My case is approved and stamped on Oct 30. I will be moving to another Apt complex end of this month. Do I need to notify INS of this change to send the Card to new address? or Should I depend on Post office to redirect the Card to new Address?.

Thanks in advance for the reply.

Read this article. It seems that you have to send it only to Kentucky, not to the INS Service Center. However, if your case would be still pending then you would have to notify both, Kentucky and the Service Center about the address change.

11/13/2002 - INS Changes Address, Form For AR-11s

November 13, 2002 – This past week, the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) announced new mailing addresses for submission of Form AR-11, Alien's Change of Address Card. The form should now be submitted to INS offices in London, Kentucky, rather than to INS headquarters in Washington, D.C.

Forms submitted via the U.S. Postal Service should be sent to:

Immigration and Naturalization Service
Change of Address
P.O. Box 7134
London, KY 40742-7134

Forms submitted via commercial overnight or freight services should be sent to:

Immigration and Naturalization Service
Change of Address
1084-I South Laurel Road
London, KY 40744

Foreign nationals who have recently submitted change of address forms to the Service are not required to re-submit Form AR-11 to Kentucky. INS will forward all forms received at the previous Washington, D.C. address to the new address.

New Version of Form AR-11

On the same day, the Service issued a new version of Form AR-11, dated November 7, 2002. In substance, the new form is virtually identical to previous versions, but contains the new addresses. Previous versions of the form continue to be acceptable, but must be submitted to one of the Kentucky addresses. The new form is available at http://www.ins.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/ar-11.htm.

The Notification Requirement

All non-U.S. citizens, including lawful permanent residents, are required to notify the Immigration and Naturalization Service of changes of address within 10 days of such change, using Form AR-11. The only foreign nationals exempt from this requirement are nonimmigrants in the A (foreign diplomats) and G (representatives of international organizations) visa categories, and nonimmigrants who are not required to possess a visa and who are in the United States for fewer than 30 days. In addition, nonimmigrants who are special registrants in the National Security Entry Exit Registration System (NSEERS) must notify the Service on Form AR-11 whenever there has been a change of address, employment or school; the notification must likewise occur within 10 days of such change. Foreign nationals need not notify the Service of temporary changes of address as long as they maintain a permanent U.S. address and continue to receive mail there.

It is important to note that changes of address made on Form AR-11 will not be communicated to INS Service Centers or District Offices. Therefore, if the foreign national is an applicant for immigration benefits, he or she must also send a written notice of the address change to the relevant INS office(s) processing the case.

Additional information is available on the following links to the INS Web site:

http://www.ins.gov/graphics/1ar_11_advisory.htm

http://www.ins.gov/graphics/howdoi/address.htm