can I be the co-sponsor?

myaj

Registered Users (C)
I'm applying for I-485 for myself, and my wife (sponsor) made only 12.000$ for 2004 , and 12.000$ for 2003, 8.000$ for 2002.
can i co-sponsor myself? i made 22.000$ in 2004, 4.000$ 2003, and i wasn't here in 2002. so am i elligible to co-sponsor myself ?

its not co-sponsering, but if you want to consider combined income, she fills out the 864 and you fill out the 864a. (assuming you share a household)

oh ok , so it doesn't matter that i don't have the tax return of 2002 and my tax return for 2003 is very low? I can still apply?
ps: we applied for joined tax return for 2003 and 2004

If you weren't here yet and you weren't required to file taxes that year, then you are not expected to produce copies of returns that year. You are not "disqualified" from considering you current income for that, and its your current situation that they should be looking at. All you can do is file what you have. Good luck

Thank you soon much scootersmom, I was trying to file the form I-864a
and i noticed that it says:
a sponsor or joint sponsor must also be:
a citizen or national of the u.s or an alien lawfully admitted to the u.s for permanent residence, am i considered an alien lawfully admitted to the u.s for permanent residence, even if I don't have my permanent residence yet?

thats why I noted that is really isn't called co- or joint- sponsoring...you are a household member that is including your income in the household income to meet the requirement
good luck

scootersmom said:
thats why I noted that is really isn't called co- or joint- sponsoring...you are a household member that is including your income in the household income to meet the requirement
good luck

so you mean I don't have to file I-864a,
just include my income to the household list that my wife will file (I-864)?

no, you do file the 864a....at the top of page 2 of the 864 instructions maybe they explain better than I did. sorry if I confused you. co-sponsoring and combining incomes are different things
if your wife is your sponsor and she combines a household income to qualify, there is no joint-sponsor

Last edited by a moderator: