Can I apply labor certification without a lawer?

ximen

Registered Users (C)
I just checked the form for perm filling. It's not hard. I think I can do it by myself. Is this a regulation that you have to have a lawer to represent you to file the petition? or you can represent yourself to file?
Another qustion:
My wife and I both hold the h1 visa and both of us are going to apply LC and then file I140 and I485 for family. This way each of us can get two application for I140 and I485 and hence increase the chance of getting approval. Is this allowed? or Is one person's application enough? We are both working for the same university with same job.
Please help me to clarify those.
Thanks

Technically, you don't need a lawyer for any stage of the green card (LC, I-140, I-485). BUT:
1. Most companies require employees to have (and pay) a lawyer, and - as my attorney explained to me - in the first two stages the lawyer represents the company and not the immigrant. Only the I-485 is about you.
2. You shouldn't be involved in the LC process, especially not in the recruitment. If DOL finds out that you were involved, they deny the petition and you and your company (university) might face other legal trouble.
3. There are small tricks and practices behind those "simple" forms, so you'd better use an expert (even though not all immigration attorneys belong to this category...)

You and your wife can start parallel applications, there's nothing against it. Whoever gets the GC first will take the spouse as well.