Can I apply for Waiver from India?

swapneel07

Registered Users (C)
Friends,
I have come to the US on a 18month J1 and now that the 18 months ( with extension) are over, I am leaving back to India next month.
My question is- Can I apply for J1 2 year residency waiver from India? My employer then plans to apply for a H1B.

Your HELP would be highly appreciated

Thanks,
swapneel

You can apply for J1 waiver when you are outside US

Yes, you can apply for J1 waiver when you are outside US. There is no location requirement for the J1 waiver application.

But DOS and USCIS may not forward the mails to India, so it is better for your to find someone or your potential US employer to forward the mail to you.

VectorP
www.greencardapply.com
www.greencardfamily.com

Friends,
I have come to the US on a 18month J1 and now that the 18 months ( with extension) are over, I am leaving back to India next month.
My question is- Can I apply for J1 2 year residency waiver from India? My employer then plans to apply for a H1B.

Your HELP would be highly appreciated

Thanks,
swapneel

Yes you can. But I think you need to forward your NOC thro US Embassy - India to US DOS. Pleasae confirm with other people . There are plenty of experts in this column

Hi

I have been trying to get a waiver from India. But its a great pain in *ss. Not much success so far :(.

Let me know if you have specific question. May be my experience can help.

Good luck.

mihir, which state in india are u in?

Mihir,
Which state in India are you from? Did you send the papers to the respective depeartment by post or personally?

Do you have an email to share so we can keep in touch as we both are going through the same process?
my email id is swapneel07@yahoo.co.in

Thanks

I really dont think its easy to apply for J1 waiver from India. There are a lot of reasons supporting my comment.

First - Indian citizens need to go through a long process of dealing with their embassy/consulate (in which they have to send their original passport 2 times to consulate)

2nd - Indian consulates in US and Indian authorities in India (3 NORI's) take endless time in returning the documents (took mine, and I was in US), imagine you waiting for these in India (when these documents also include your original passport).

3rd - Indian consulate requires you to get the 2 forms attested to make sure you are known by some local authorities (I got mine attested by my financial institution), now since you are not here, you need to get it attested through some known notary, and I think its not that easy.

D

Last edited by a moderator: