can I apply for j1 waiver residing in India?

kaipa

Hi,

I was in US for the last two years on a J1 visa; I'm now back in India.

My visa is subjected to the two year home residency requirement.

My questions are:

1) Can I apply for the j1 waiver residing in India?

2) If so, the waiver application process requires me to send my passport along with the NORI forms to the Indian Consulate in US for attestation. As I cannot post my passport outside of India, how can I proceed?

~kaipa

1. Yes, you can apply for the waiver from India. The process is still the same as described on the website.
2. You might want to talk to your embassy. The Department of State only needs the No-objection Statement from your embassy. They do not need your passport or any original documents other than the application form.

I am trying this too. I have the clearances from India but Indian Embassy in US has refused to forward my case to Waiver Review Division as I am residing in India. They say their services are for Indians in US. In my case I will have to find some designated Ministry in India that can forward my case to Waiver Review Division. Do you have any experience in it?

I am trying to apply for waiver from India too. How long did it take for you to receive the NORI letter from the Ministry of Human Resource & Development?
Thanks a lot!

Hi Bansal,

I am in a similar situation as yours. MEA has agreed to forward my final NOC to US Consulate in New Delhi. But I am not sure if US Embassy will forward this letter to DOS. DO you have any information regarding this and if you had any success with getting the final waiver? MY job offer in US will expire in JUly and it'll be really great if you can provide any information regarding this process.

Many thanks.

I am trying this too. I have the clearances from India but Indian Embassy in US has refused to forward my case to Waiver Review Division as I am residing in India. They say their services are for Indians in US. In my case I will have to find some designated Ministry in India that can forward my case to Waiver Review Division. Do you have any experience in it?

Hi Bansal and mk,
I am also trying to get waiver form India and Us embassy has declined to help me as I am not in US currently. Can you please help me. Which department and whom do i contact in India for NOS. Do I still need to get 3 copies of embassy form attested for NORI.
Even the immigrations lawyers in Us have little idea about it.
I will be very grateful for you help. My email id is : unplugged.bhaskar@gmail.com
Thanks,
Bhaskar