Can greencard sponsored parent get US citizenship?

lochness1989

Hello,

My wife and myself just got done getting a green card for her mother all by ourselves. We are trying to understand if her mother will be eligible to become a us citizen. After reading online, it sounds like after 5 years she should be eligible. Is this correct? Also, she doesn't speak english at all. My understanding is she needs to be able to communicate and also pass the naturalization test (english and civics portion). Any help is greatly appreciated :)

She can be eligible for naturalization in 5 years if she meets the requirements for continuous residence, physical presence, good moral character, and English (except for limited exceptions). See below.

Check your local public high school district‘s adult education center, community college, community center and public libraries. There should be ESL classesa available, often for free and often that help prepare for the naturalization test. Apart from naturalizing, it will be to her personal benefit to be able to converse in English if she plans to live in the US.

She is older and starting to have issues remembering things unfortunately. I will check what you posted to see if anything applies! Thanks

I assume once she becomes a us citizen she the 6 month outside the us will no longer apply so she can freely live inside and outside the US for any length of time?

She is older and starting to have issues remembering things unfortunately. I will check what you posted to see if anything applies! Thanks

I assume once she becomes a us citizen she the 6 month outside the us will no longer apply so she can freely live inside and outside the US for any length of time?
These are the age and disability exemptions

yes, she can live outside as long as she wants once she is a citizen. If required because of income, she still needs to file tax returns even if mostly resident elsewhere.