Can asylees travel on their national passport

No Title

I know only two people whose asylee status are being questioned after travelling. They are free during the process, which are still on going.

Let us get to the more practical stuff.

I do not have the time yet to go over some very posts, but it seems like you filed your I-485 back in 96. The assumption the Alanpero and others are making is that the local INS office did not request a number for you.

If I were you, I would write to the INS before the start of the next fiscal year and remind them that there is an approvable case in their files. Do not let them goof again. The numbers are gone pretty quickly and we here do not want you to wait until October 2002.

No Title

I would say that for asylum-based LPR travelling to their home countries, the first concern is the possibility of retaliation from the home government. Even if the former asylee is not a nationally recognized dissident, his green card still shows the AS6 code. Presumably foreign governments understand what it means. They often do not like their citizens applying for asylum. If the regime is in a bad mood, then..........

No Title

That is also to my understanding. I have also pointed out in another posting that the asylee should be equally (if not more) be concerned about the government in their country taking action against them besides the violation of INS regulations. Some totalitarian governments are VERY paranoid, they think an asylee coming back home from the US is a CIA agent on a mission to blow things up in their country (that is the general impression).

I would also assume that foreign intelligence services have a way of *decoding* these codes (like what AS6 category means). At one point I thought of this as a parallel example to WWII Nazi government forcing Jews to wear yellow star of david patch. And even closer resemblance, in the old days some governments would indicate a person\'s religion and occupation in the national passport. That lead to plane hijackers and terrorists targeting people belonging to certain religious groups, and affiliation in an organization. I thought the UN banned such indications in Passports etc after kidnappsing and hijackings in the 80s and 90s.

Also, some asylees use third party countries as transit point to disguise their visit to home country. My question was what will happen if the government of that 3rd party country detains you for some unfortunate reason? ( like wrongly accusing of smuggling drugs, carrying too much US dollars) . There is no telling how their courts will decide.

These are just my concerns. I am NOT telling anyone what they should or shouldn\'t do.

No Title

Hey,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have wrote several times to the local INS office (with CC to District Director\'s office, Congressman\'s office, and even an appeal to the Attorney General\'s office) urging them to request a number for me and possibly include my case in FY2002 quota. They keep on pointing back to the 10,000/year quota and that I need to wait to be called for stamping (no further comments from INS than that).
 If the "bugging and pushing" could really effectively work with the INS my case would have been approved long time ago, trust me. I\'ve been told by some lawyer friends that there are many cases like mine in Texas, California, New York and most metropolitan areas where asylee population is concentrated higher than other states.

And Asylee travel issue is just as "pratical" to me as my I-485 case. I think this applies to all of us who still have attachments back home. Knowing what will happen help us in deciding whether we should do things or not to do them. And I appreciate your inputs.

No Title

I am glad that you finally found my ancient message.

When I said "practical", I meant that for the moment, getting adjusted takes precedence over the ramifications of a hypothetical trip back home. In no way did I try to minimize our collection attachment to our homelands.
As we said before, traveling as asylee can be very risky to your status in the U.S. It is however a much more viable proposition when you are a LPR.

Being an asylee status year after year creates a lot of headache.

No Title

Headache is an understatement. I\'ve watied 4 years + 10 months and still there is no certainty when I will be called for stamping.