Can anyone give me the exacp process I need to do for my Mother to be a Resident?

Starscream

Registered Users (C)
Newly naturalized citizen,

I want to get my Mother a greencard so she can come over here and live,

How "exactly" do I do this? and whats the best and quickest way?

Were both from England, As mentioned Im a USC now but get to keep my British passport,
I just want to know how long too the wait is now.

Also is there anyway of getting my Aunt over here? Can she apply through my Mother after she gets her Greencard?

To petition your mother you have to file Form I-130 : Petition for an Alien Relative, but I'm sorry to tell you I don't know how the "exactly" consular process works. As noincident said, you'll have to do some research in this forum.
About your other question...you cannot petition your aunt, and neither will your mother when she becomes a permanent resident, only a USC can petition for a sibling; your mother will be able to petition her when she becomes a citizen, but let me tell you that category (family-based 4th preference) is processing cases from March 97...as you can see its a longggg wait.

Hi,

I am assisting both my parents with getting a GC via CP so I can offer a bit of advice. The USCIS website has a nice long article on how to bring a parent to the US as does the Embassy in London, they both have websites (Montreal doesn't!). I've reproduced much of the information below. Your mother would be IR5 category (Immediate relative - parent of US citizen) and there is no quota so the whole process should be finished in 12 to 18 months (since you do not need to go through Montreal). You start by filing the I-130. Once it is received and approved you will receive DS-3032 (choice of agent) which you submit and then I-864 fee bill (pay $70.00 and then you send in the form later) and then ds-230 the application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration($380) with all documents requested (police certificates, birth certificates, etc.) and wait. I don't know if you need to fill out form DS-2001 When a interview slot opens up at the local consulate (fortunately for you it's not Montreal) or embassy (Court of St. James, i.e. London) your mother will be asked to have a physical by a panel physician in the area and you will be given a date for the interview. A list of physicians will be provided by the embassy although if you search the boards you will probably find their names quite quickly. This should get you started in your quest but I should repeat what the other posters already told you, please read the forums and do a bit of searching, if you get stuck we will help you. The process is slightly different depending on if you are in the UK or US when you sponsor your mother.

Petitioning Procedures: Bringing a Parent to Live in the United States

Petitioning Procedures: Bringing a Parent to Live in the United States

This information is for U.S. citizens who wish to petition for or “sponsor” their alien parent(s) to live permanently in the U.S. Only U.S. citizens are eligible to petition for their parent(s). A U.S. Citizen must be at least 21 years of age to petition for a parent. Lawful Permanent Residents may not bring their parents to live permanently in the U.S.

For Whom Are You Petitioning?

I am a U.S. Citizen and Petitioning for:

My mother.
If you are applying to bring your mother to live in the United States, you must file the following with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (please note: if you have been legally adopted, you may not petition for your birth parent):

Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative (if you are filing for both parents, you must file a separate petition for each parent)
A copy of your birth certificate showing your name and your mother’s name
If your name or your mother’s name is different now than at the time of your birth, you must provide evidence of the legal name change.
If you were not born in the United States, a copy of either
your Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship or
your U.S. passport
My father. I was born in wedlock.
If you are applying to bring your father to the United States to live, you must file the following with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (please note: if you have been legally adopted, you may not petition for your birth parent):

Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative (if you are filing for both parents, you must file a separate petition for each parent)
A copy of your birth certificate showing your name and the names of both your parents
If your name or your father’s name is different from the name on your birth certificate, you must provide evidence of the legal name change.
If you were not born in the United States, a copy of either
your Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship or
your U.S. passport
A copy of your parents’ civil marriage certificate
A copy of any divorce decrees, death certificates, or annulment decrees that would show that any previous marriage entered into by your mother or father was ended legally
My father. I was born out of wedlock and legitimated.
If you are applying to bring your father to the United States to live and you were born out of wedlock and were legitimated by your father before your 18th birthday and while you were unmarried, you must file the following with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (please note: if you have been legally adopted, you may not petition for your birth parent):

A copy of your birth certificate showing your name
If you were not born in the U.S., a copy of either
Your Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship or
Your U.S. passport
Evidence that you were legitimated before your 18th birthday through
the marriage of your birth parents, or
the laws of the state or country where you live, or
the laws of the state or country where your father lives
If anyone’s name has been legally changed (differs from the name on his or her birth certificate), evidence of the name change must be provided.
My father. I was born out of wedlock and was not legitimated.
If you are applying to bring your father to the United States to live and you were born out of wedlock and were not legitimated by your father before your 18th birthday and while you were unmarried, you must file the following with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (please note: if you have been legally adopted, you may not petition for your birth parent):

Your U.S. passport
Evidence of the father-son or -daughter relationship
Evidence that an emotional or financial bond existed between you and your father before you were married or reached the age of 21.
If anyone’s name has been legally changed (differs from the name on his or her birth certificate), evidence of the name change must be provided.
My stepparent.
If you are applying to bring your stepparent to the United States to live, you must file the following with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services:

A copy of your birth certificate showing your name and the names of your birth parents
Your U.S. passport
A copy of the civil marriage certificate of your birth parent to your stepparent showing that the marriage occurred before your 18th birthday
A copy of any divorce decrees, death certificates, or annulment decrees that would verify the termination of any previous marriage(s) entered into by your birth parent or stepparent
My adoptive parent.
If you are applying to bring your adoptive parent to the United States to live, you must file the following with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (please note: if you have been legally adopted, you may not petition for your birth parents):

Your U.S. passport
A certified copy of the adoption decree, showing that the adoption occurred before your 16th birthday
A sworn statement showing the dates and places you have lived together with your parent
Where to Get the Forms and Fee Information
Forms and fee information can be found on our Forms and Fees page. You may also go directly to a form by clicking on the form number where it is underlined on this page. For information on where to file, see the I-130 form entry page. You may also obtain forms from the USCIS Forms Center by calling 1-800-870-3676.

After Filing Your Petition
If your parent is currently in the United States, your parent may be eligible to file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status, at the same time as you file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. For information on how to file this application, please refer to How Do I Become a Lawful Permanent Resident While In the United States?

You will be notified by the USCIS if your I-130 petition is approved or denied. If it is approved and your parent is outside the U.S., your parent will be notified to go to the local U.S. consulate to complete his or her visa processing. If your parent is legally inside the U.S. and did not file the Form I-485 Application concurrently with your petition, he or she may file at this time. For more information on adjusting to lawful permanent residence, your parent may refer to How Do I Become a Lawful Permanent Resident While In the United States?

How Can I Appeal?
If the visa petition you filed for your parent is denied, the denial letter will tell you how to appeal and when you must file the appeal. After your appeal form and a required fee are processed, the appeal will be referred to the Board of Immigration Appeals. For more information, please see How Do I Appeal the Denial of My Petition or Application?

Immediate Relative Category

Who is eligible?
Spouse of a U.S. citizen; parent or step-parent of a U.S citizen; child or stepchild under the age of 21 of a U.S. citizen and spouse of a deceased U.S. citizen. Note: A step-parent or child will qualify for immigration only if the marriage creating the step parent/child relationship occurs before the child's eighteenth birthday.

How do I apply?
The first step in applying for an immigrant visa is for the U.S. citizen (petitioner) to file an immigrant visa petition, Form I-130, with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). A separate petition must be filed for each person immigrating. U.S. citizens resident in the United Kingdom may file the petition, Form I-130, with the Department of Homeland Security (Immigration) in London; U.S. citizens residents in the United States should contact their their local USCIS office for further information. Note: A petition cannot be filed for a spouse until the marriage ceremony has taken place. The natural child of a U.S. citizen may have claim to U.S. citizenship. A petition cannot be filed until it has been established that the child is not a U.S. citizen.

Note: If the U.S. citizen and immigrant visa applicant reside in the United Kingdom and the U.S. citizen is filing the I-130 with the Department of Homeland Security (Immigration) in London, it will be possible to begin the administrative processing of the immigrant visa application before the petition is approved and received by the Immigrant Visa Unit.

Visa Processing
If the immigrant visa petition was filed or will be filed with the Department of Homeland Security (Immigration) in London, and you reside in the United Kingdom, the National Visa Center (NVC) will not be involved in processing of your application; your case will be processed by the Immigrant Visa Unit at this Embassy. On receipt of the approved petition from the DHS (Immigration), London, the Immigrant Visa Unit will send you an Instruction Package for Immigrant Visa Applicants which consists of the Form DS-230-I Part I, Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration - Biographic Data, Form DS-2001, Applicant's Declaration of Qualification for Immigrant Visa Interview, and Form I-864 Affidavit of Support.

What do I do first?
The biographic data form DS-23O-I should be completed for each person applying for a visa, regardless of age. The form may be photocopied if insufficient copies are received for each family member. The DS-230-I should be completed and returned immediately to the Immigrant Visa Unit at the Embassy in order for them to begin the administrative processing of the application. Failure to return the DS-230-I promptly will delay the processing of the application.

Police Certificates: On receipt of the DS-230-I, the Immigrant Visa Unit will notify you whether or not police certificates are required and advise as to how they are obtained. All applicants 16 years of age and over are required to furnish a police certificate (certificate of good conduct) to cover any period of residence of twelve months or more since reaching the age of sixteen; the period of residence is six months if country of birth or current residence.

What is the second step?
Assemble all of the relevant documents required in support of your application and forward the Form DS-2001, Notification of Applicant(s) Readiness, to the Immigrant Visa Unit. These documents must not be mailed to the Embassy. You will be required to furnish the original of all documents and one copy on the day of the formal visa interview.

What happens next?
On receipt of the DS-230-I and DS-2001, the Immigrant Visa Unit will perform any additional processing which may be required and advise you concerning the scheduling of the medical interview and the appointment for the formal visa interview.

Who completes the Affidavit of Support form I-864?
The form I-864 is a contractual affidavit of support, and must be submitted for most family-based applicants and employment-based applicants when a relative is the petitioner or has ownership interest in the petitioning business.

Am I required to complete a DS-3032?
No, you are not required to complete a DS-3032 as your application is not being processed through the NVC.

Visa Processing at the National Visa Center
On receipt of the approved petition from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS), the National Visa Center (NVC) will send the beneficiary (visa applicant) the Form DS-3032, Choice of Address and Agent Form and the petitioner an Affidavit of Support, processing fee bill.

What is a DS-3032 and what do I do with it?
The DS-3032 may be used by the visa applicant to choose an "agent" to assist him or her in his/her application and to receive mailings from the NVC. The "agent" may be the one who filed the immigrant visa petition, an attorney, friend or non-governmental or community-based organization. He or she cannot sign documents for the visa applicant but can assist with fee payments and document collection. If the DS-3032 is not returned within one year, the NVC will begin terminating the case.

Am I required to nominate an agent?
There is no requirement that you nominate an agent. The NVC may send all correspondence directly to you if you so wish. You should complete the relevant section of the DS-3032 and return the form directly to the NVC.

When is a DS-3032 not required?
A DS-3032 is not required if

a G-28 is received from USCIS indicating that an attorney is the agent;

the visa applicant filed the petition on his or her behalf;

a child is being adopted.

What happens once the NVC has received the DS-3032?
On receipt of the DS-3032, the NVC will mail the "agent" or visa applicant instructions on the steps which must be taken to apply for the immigrant visa, including information on payment of the visa processing fee of $380 per visa applicant. The fee is paid to the NVC which will provide the applicant with detailed information on method of payment. On payment of the fees, the NVC will mail the agent or visa applicant the Instruction Package for Immigrant Visa Applicants which consists of the Form DS-230-I Part I, Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration - Biographic Data, and Form DS-2001, Applicant's Declaration of Qualification for Immigrant Visa Interview. The Form I-864 Affidavit of Support will be mailed to the petitioner.

Who completes the Affidavit of Support, Form I-864?
The petitioner, that is to say the American citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident who filed the immigrant visa petition on behalf of the visa applicant. The petitioner must complete an I-864 if filing a petition on behalf of a spouse, parent, child, or sibling, or if he or she filed an employment based petition or has a 5% or more ownership interest in the company which filed the petition. Further information is available from the Department of State's website. The I-864 will not be sent to the petitioner until the NVC has received the Affidavit of Support processing fee.

The petitioner should return the notarized I-864 to the NVC. The I-864 will be forwarded to the Embassy once NVC has completed the administrative processing of the application.

What do I do with the forms?
Complete the biographic data form DS-230-I Part I, for each person applying for a visa, regardless of age. The form may be photocopied if insufficient copies are received. The completed DS-230-I should be returned to the NVC.

Review the information concerning police certificates: All applicants 16 years and over are required to furnish a police certificate (certificate of good conduct) to cover any period of residence of twelve months or more since reaching the age of sixteen; the period of residence is six months if country of birth or current residence.

Assemble all of the relevant documents required in support of the application and forward the form DS-2001, Applicant's Declaration of Qualification for Immigrant Visa Interview to the NVC. The documents must not be mailed to the NVC or the Immigrant Visa Unit at the Embassy. You will be required to furnish the original and one copy of all documents on the day of the formal visa interview and medical examination at the Embassy.

What happens next?
On receipt of the forms DS-230-I and DS-2001, the NVC will conduct any additional processing required and forward your file to the Immigrant Visa Unit at this Embassy

Reminder: Do not download and send in any forms to the NVC until you have received official notification from them that they are ready to proceed with your application. Forms received before they officially notify you that they are ready to process your case will be discarded.

Birth Certificate

How to get the birth certificate of parents? They no relatives living that can give affidavit also. Please advise.

This question has been asked many times on these boards. Do a search using the toolbar on this webpage and you will find the answer. Use my name and the answer will be there.

From a timeline perspective, I applied for my (UK) mother in Feb 2007. The I-130 was approved by VSC in just 3 weeks, and since then I've been dealing with NVC. Just last week we received the notice that the case was being forwarded to London for scheduling.