Can anyone advice please!!!

485GCCase

Registered Users (C)
My friend is pregnant and her husband has lost his job and at present they don't have any health insurance. The guy is also in AOS. Is there any insurance that could cover them especially my friend. Just little apprehensive if the guy doesn't get a job for a couple of months or more. She cannot go to India also for some personal reasons.

Any input would be appreciated!!

Thanks,

Hi ,

The best thing would be to opt for COBRA - which would be continuing the medical coverage they currently have. but that would be little expensive and depends on when he lost the job. I guess we have to take COBRA coverage almost immedietly after losing the job ( like within 30days).

If he is not eligible for the COBRA because the set time period has expired , then ask them to take any local coverage immediatly with the proof of previous insurance, so that they would accept the preexisting condition of pregnancy.

with my experiance I personally feel that they should not wait for him to get a job to get the insurance.

Regards

Even if they do not have any health insurance before, the wife of your friend can still get health insurance from any insurance company in that area, AFTER she is pregnant. This is a law starting from 1996. If the policy only cover his wife, he can save a lot of money.

Good Luck.

Hi there, I know it sounds little foolish to ask but if they are earning less than poverty line at this time and god knows for how long........then on getting health benefits for her being pregnant; thru an insurance company...........would INS get informed or something and can it raise the chances of RFE or something.

Thanks

Ask your friend to check with HR first.

I am not sure about the laws relating to this. But a company is required to provide Health Insurance upto 6 months after terminating an employees job. Your friend's insurance should still be valid as long as he is contributing the employee share to the insurance company. If he does not get a response from his employee's HR he can always call the insurance company to get the details....

485GCCase:

I might sound a little rude. But, don't take it personally. If his wife cannot go to India just for personal reasons, just ask him/her to leave aside his/her personal reasons and ask her to go to India and have her baby. A peace of mind is more important at this stage for the mother. If "No travel" is for medical reasons, then the actual need for worry starts. Lives are more important than this GC. The baby can get his/her GC at the POE.
The baby ( after he/she grows up) is not going to be elected for president anyway (if u really want him/her to be citizen by birth) in this country.

They covered insurance for only 2 months after the job termination and he has not got any similar job yet.

Can anyone tell how much a person (pregnant) might have to pay monthly if she buys a health insurance.

Thanks again.

Ask your friend to continue COBRA coverage. He will need to pay the premium after job termination but it will cover all pre-existing conditions such as his wife's pregnancy.

A good insurance

will cost anywhere between $ 700-1000/ month. This may cover the pre existing pregnancy with less amount of deductible. Otherwise costs for pregnancy are exorbitant in this country.

Some info.

One of my friends got pregnant in Jan. She was laid off in Mar, and her husband was laid off last year. She told me that since she was pregnant, she got free medical insurance immediately from health care center in her area. Ask your friend to look for Health Care Center from Department of Public Health in the area where they live and do a consulation there.

Hope this is helpful.

If your friend and his wife are from NJ area, I have seen such ads on the wall here in a medical center, about not having insurance and being pregnant.It said they have alternatives, I didn't bother much at that time, but when I saw this message I remembered. They give medical care during pregnancy for such people.
the medical center is JFK.
They can search such alternatives in their area.
I am not being rude : best advice , go to India where you will have peace, loved ones to take care of.
If the wife ends up in C- section and other complications, the medical expenses will pile up unneccesarily.A person can travel till 32nd week.

COBRA (continuing the old insurance) is best...

Other Insurance companies may or may not give the entire amount for the Maternity/Delivery expenses.

baby's insurance

IF you are purchasing insurance, do not forget to purchase for your baby. I was a student a couple of years back and my wife had a baby. My wife's pregnancy was covered, but the baby was not covered. I end up in whole lot of mess.
SO remember the baby's insurance as well