California driver's license for F-1

aspo

Registered Users (C)
I'm on F-1 visa in a different state and am planning to get a driver's license in CA when I go there for spring break. Also part of the reason I want to get a license there is because I have relatives there who can help me go to the local DMV and teach me how to drive. Will I have to prove that I have residency in CA (which I technically don't according to my I-20) in order to apply for a CA driver's license? In the state where I go to school, I have to prove that I reside legally in that state (i.e. a letter from DSO and I-20)

I checked the CA DMV website and there isn't any specific info on the residency requirement, so I'm not sure if CA has different rules. Has anyone been in the same situation?

Thanks

if you are on F1 visa you will be able to get your licence driver at the state and in the town where you have the school. you will need to go there with Passport with visa, I 94, I-20, proof of residency and that is it. in your case you will not need to show SSN. but if you go to Ca to obtain a driver licence and you have school in other state, you will not be able to get anything. starting with 2009, USCIS and DMV made it almost impossible for illigal migrants to have driver licences anymore. and they will issue a DL, only for the period the visa is valid. so do not get to excited that you are going to have a DL for a long period of time.