California Dream Act creates new hope for undocumented people across state

grape ape

Registered Users (C)
California Dream Act creates new hope for undocumented people across the state

By Cindy Von Quednow
Posted September 29, 2012 at 6:30 p.m.

Before he read the email saying he qualified for a Cal Grant, Rodrigo wasn't sure how he was going to pay for his first year at UC Santa Barbara.

The 17-year-old, raised in Ventura but originally from Concepción, Chile, said he only recently learned he was undocumented. He was hoping to qualify for scholarships and a Cal Grant, recently made accessible to students like him through the California Dream Act.

He woke up weeks before his first day of school to the good news.

"When I confirmed it, I was ecstatic," said Rodrigo, who did not want his real name used because of fear of deportation. "My mom kept saying, 'You are going to find a way,' but I wasn't sure how I was going to pay."

The California Dream Act, signed by Gov. Jerry Brown last fall, as well as a mandate passed by President Barack Obama earlier this year, have created new hope among undocumented students across the state about getting a college education.

Under the Dream Act, undocumented students can now compete for scholarships offered by individual public universities in California. And beginning in January, undocumented students also can receive Cal Grants — awards of up to $12,200 a year for low- and middle-income students.

Fewer than 1 percent of students in the California State University, University of California and community college systems are undocumented, officials estimate. According to the governor's office, only 1 percent of all Cal Grant funds will potentially go to Dream Act students.

Among 70,000 UC students who receive financial aid, an estimated 400 to 450 undocumented students may benefit, and 1,800 among the 266,000 CSU students who get the financial aid.

Eligible citizens and legal residents will still get priority for Cal Grants. Undocumented students will get any remaining funds, under the Dream Act.

"There hasn't been an increase in funds, but that's something we struggle with anyway, because sometimes we don't have enough (money) for our regular students," said Sunshine Garcia, director of financial aid and scholarships at CSU Channel Islands in Camarillo.

Nayra Pacheco, 22, is set to graduate from UCSB next June partly through the help of scholarship funds that the California Dream Act opened up to her. She was able to afford her education by taking a quarter off and working up to three part-time jobs at a time. She also took classes at Santa Barbara City College during breaks or when she could not afford to pay tuition at the university.

"It is definitely a whole different experience to be undocumented at a university. You have a lot more on your plate and against you," said Pacheco, who came from Oaxaca, Mexico, at age 5 and grew up in Santa Barbara. "I'm really grateful to be able to (have scholarships) in my last year instead of worrying about money."

INVESTING IN EDUCATION

The Dream Act actually is two laws. AB130, which took effect in January, allows undocumented students to apply and compete for scholarships at public colleges and universities. Under AB131, which will take effect next January, undocumented students also will be able to receive Cal Grants. Before passage of the Dream Act, undocumented students could not receive public scholarships. And before the passage of AB 540 in 2001, those students had to pay out-of-state tuition. Thirteen states allow undocumented students to pay the lower, in-state tuition, and Texas is one of the few states besides California to also offer the possibility of state financial aid. The Federal Dream Act, introduced in 2001 but not approved, would create a path toward residency for students and enlisted military personnel.

William Perez, an associate professor at Claremont Graduate University, said California stands to benefit from undocumented students continuing to study and becoming professionals.

"California is sending a strong message to the nation that it is more important to invest in the education of these young adults because they are members of society, whether they have legal status or not," Perez said. "The state will benefit from the talent and skills that undocumented students bring to higher education."

A decision by President Barack Obama this year allowing undocumented young people to apply for a work permit gives educated people a chance to work in their field legally. People under 30 who came to the United States before age 16 and have a clean record can receive a renewable work permit under the so-called "deferred action" program.

http://www.vcstar.com/news/2012/sep/29/california-dream-act-creates-new-hope-for-people/