Buying a house...

gc_kodu

Registered Users (C)
Hi everybody,

Sorry for posting a non-immigration question here - but I think I can find help by posting my question here.

I am thinking of buying a house around Washington DC suburbs..and I was wondering how to find out a fair price to offer to the seller for a property about 15-20 years old..
Anybody who has gone through this process before..please help.
What are the resources to look into - any suggestions regarding brokers, home inspectors, property assessements etc woud be welcome!!

Thanks again,
gc_kodu

You can always buy a house on H1 or EAD, just remember some lenders will consider the status as a part of risk matrix and will increase the interest rate on your loan because they perceive you as instable when you do not have the permenant residency. Something to keep in mind.

Most lenders do not care about H1/EAD if
- You have a ssn and card
- Can show stable income for past 2-3 years in form of tax returns and current paystubs, employer letter etc.
- Have been in US for atleast 2 years.
- Are putting 20% down

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point, I would agree especially if you are putting down 20%. But most people do not put that much down. Specially in DC area if you are buying a half way decent house 20% would be anywhere around 50-65K.

Also, the key is 'most lenders'. Although these days lenders are competing quite abit, still there are some who will try to grab you with the small print or with surprises later on.

To the original poster: Do keep this in mind when you are talking to the lender and reduce the unkown variables.