breaking news!!!!!!

breakingnews

Visitors to the U.S. may be allowed to stay only for a MAX of 30 days instead of the earlier six months. The INS is strongly considering this regulation. So your parents, family members and friends might be permitted to stay in America with you for a maximum of 30 days.

No Title

I do not think what they are proposing will need legislation . they want to give admission for 30 days only initially to visitors. INS has wide latitude on how long of a stay they allow you when they stamp your I-94 at POE. they may be able to change policy to giving admission for only 30 days initially. I do not think they need a change in the law to change policy. This would however result in them being overwhelmed by extension of stay applications. I wonder what they are thinking.

I quote from Ziglar\'s testimony

"First, we are considering regulatory changes to tighten up the Student Visa Program. For
example, we are considering a regulatory change that would result in most holders of visitors’
visas [as distinguished from Visa Waiver Program entrants] being admitted for a period of 30
days. Currently, visitors are generally admitted for a period of six months."

Travel industry

The travel industry seems to be lobbying against it. In this economy , i doubt they would do it. It would be unattractive for most people to come to US if 30 day deadline is given especially retired members of other countries trying to visit US.

No Title

I think we can expect INS to be progressively less liberal in the post 9/11 era when it comes to the stay they allow you when you come in on a visitors visa. Last summer my parents asked for 4 months but were given 6 months stay. They had an open ticket and had not decided on a return date when they came in. I can see them becoming less liberal especially with younger men from certain parts of the world.

I do not think Ziglar even said anything about 30 days being the maximum allowed for visitors. My take what he means is that most people will get a stay of 30 days only when they initially come in. If you want to stay longer you can file for an extension of stay . My guess is that they are going to be stricter in granting these. None of this would require new legislation.

This was on US visa news as of today

INS Considers 30 Day Admission for Visitors

By Kim King Date: 3/25/2002

Had you heard the one about INS limiting the period of admission for visitors to the U.S. to thirty days? It may just happen.

According to a recent report by the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA), INS commissioner James Ziglar testified last week before Congress that the INS is considering regulatory changes that would result in most visitors being admitted to the U.S. for a period of 30 days rather than 180 days, as is the current practice. This is, no doubt, a substantial change and one which will significantly affect MANY people. We will keep our watch out (with the rest of the world) for the latest news as to when and if these changes will be implemented.

So folks I guess it does say it is being considered.

visitors being admitted to the U.S. for a period of 30 days

Hi There,
  what if the visitor is having one year visitor\'s visa ..even he is allowed to stay here for 30 days

The validity of the visa and that of your immigration status are two different things.

The visa permits you to enter the US. Once you are admitted, you will have an immigration status. If you are a visitor, you will be likely to have B1 or B2 status. The validity of your status determines how long you can legally stay in the US, which has nothing to do with your visa in your passport.