Both the Parents are Indians, Child OCI - Travel question

whenwilliget

Registered Users (C)
Gurus,

Need an expert advise from you guys.

I, my wife & first son are Indians. My second son is a US citizen. He has an OCI, got it before the new rule of "only one of the parent can be Indian".

Now my worry is, when I reach India, I don't want him to be stopped at the immigration stating that this OCI is not valid, because of the new rule. (he is 3 years old). His PIO was also cancelled by CGI at the time of OCI application.

Though, I'm sure that he won't be stopped, I would like to hear from guys like my situation, who have visited India w/o a problem.

Thanks

Ask the Indian embassy/consulate to make sure. You might want to get him a visa, just in case...

Reply from CGI

Got the following replies from CGI, SFO:
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your interest in OCI scheme.

To answer your queries-
As of now children whose both parents are not foreign nationals, cannot get OCI. Those who got it by default, can use it for their travels/stay etc. We hear that there may be review of the decision, and all children could become eligible and those who got it already will also be covered in that.

Sincerely,

OCI Team
Consulate General of India
San Francisco

REPLY FROM CGI, NY:

In the first place, as both parents are Indian citizens, your son could
not have been eligible to apply for OCI as per current regulations in
force. However, having already issued the same, there is no restriction
on his going to India. His US passport should have an OCI visa
sticker!; so there is no need for another Indian visa.

Well, that's good news for you. Make sure to keep a copy of the emails with you just in case.

Hi whenwilliget,

thank you very much for this information. I am in the same situation. I did send email to consulate but I never got any reply. When I talked to them by phone they mentioned the same thing but I don't have any proof with me. Can you please forward me those emails from consulate (at abuddyz@hotmail.com)? this would be a great help. I would appreciate it.

thanks,
abuddyz