Birth Certificate required for I-485 filing

vemi007

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys,

I have a question regarding filing my I-485 documentation, my lawyer requested that i attach my birth certificate when i file my I-485.Up till now i had regarded my 10th Class SSC certificate as my Birth certificate.

Is my assumption wrong, do i have to have a seperate Birth Certificate taken out to file my I-485 ?

your comments will be much appreciated..

regards
vemi007

Oh dear!!

You should present a real "birth Certificate" with I-485..NOT the SSC certificate.(i know what you are talking about, but it is NOT a a valid Birth Document).
Your hospital or parents might have registered your birth with the local muncipal office. If it is registerd there, they will issue a Birth certificate. Otherwise, you need two affidivates (mom, dad, uncle etc) and a notarized statement to state that you are born on certian date.

Yes you need to send Birth certificate
to my knowledget they will not accept SSC certifcate as like in our country , you need to send birth certificate or affidavit of support from your parents.

Hi Guys ,

Just needed some clarification on this matter from this forrm as i had heard from a friend that SSC certificate will not work.Hence few days ago i requested my parents to get my birth certificate.

I am kinda worried now since i learnt today from my parents that they cannot find my record at muncipal office.i have no clue what to do now.as some have suggested in your replies that affidavit of support might work.

can you give me more info about the affidavit of support & notarized statement that i need to file has a substitute to the birth certificate.

regards

vemi007

We obtain our Birth Certificates from our Indian Embassey, Houston and submitted. Our I-485 was approved. NO RFE for anything.

Birth Certificate was issued based on our Passport.

Some of my friends did the same and got approved.

- Baktha

Last edited by a moderator:
vemi007:

I don't have a birth certificate as well. Both of my brothers didn't either and they both have their green cards now. Here is what they did (I have also seen a document that prescribes this procedure):

1.) You have to get a statement from a Government agency (corporation or municipality) that they cannot find the record of your birth.

2.) You need sworn affidavits from both of your parents that you are their son/daughter and attesting to your date of birth, place of birth etc. This should be on stamp paper and notarized.

3.) You need a sworn affidavit from a person that is not your parent, but can be a relative or friend (e.g. your uncle/aunt) that you are your parents child, your date of birth, place of birth and a statement on how they are familiar with these details.

4.) You need one school leaving certificate with your date of birth.

These were the documents (copies actually) that I gave to my attorney when I submitted the I485 papers. My attorney at that time said that these would be adequate. If they insist on a birth certificate, I won't get a green card.

Think about it - if you are over a certain age, it is fairly common for folks not to have a birth certificate, especially if you are from countries like India. My feeling is that if you get these documents, you will be fine.

Good luck.