Birth certificate..plz help

hello01

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I was born in India and I don't have a birth certificate. I've obtained 2 affidavits from relatives. But, the concerned municipality/corporation is not issuing me a 'non-availability certificate'. Is the 'non-availability certificate' a must while applying for a GC?

Do I have another option?

Thanks in advance,
hello01

hello01 said:
Hi,

I was born in India and I don't have a birth certificate. I've obtained 2 affidavits from relatives. But, the concerned municipality/corporation is not issuing me a 'non-availability certificate'. Is the 'non-availability certificate' a must while applying for a GC?

Do I have another option?

Thanks in advance,
hello01

Is there a reason why you are denied the non-availability certificate?

If you dont have a birth certificate and your birth was not registered, the local authorities should be able to search their records and issue you a non-availability certificate. If your birth was registered and you lost your birth certificate, you will not get a non-availability birth certificate.

Hi,

I am in a similar situation and not able to get the non-availability certificate. If the birth was registered and birth certificate was lost, what is the alternate option? Some one, please help.

Thanks.

pmmd said:
Hi,

I am in a similar situation and not able to get the non-availability certificate. If the birth was registered and birth certificate was lost, what is the alternate option? Some one, please help.

Thanks.

Hi,
Check with TTK service....here is the url..www.yourmaninindia.com.

Go to Indian Consulate and get one .
I did the same. they charge $20 at the embassy or consulate.
Immigration officer didnt had any problem with that.

ell_emm said:
Go to Indian Consulate and get one .
I did the same. they charge $20 at the embassy or consulate.
Immigration officer didnt had any problem with that.

Reading posts from the EB GC forum, a lot of applicants got RFE when BC from consulate was used, whereas a few were lucky enough for it to be accepted. My advice is to be prepared for a RFE when BC from consulate is used. It always depends on the officer looking at your case. Some are okay with it, some are not. Instrucitons on USCIS specifically ask you for a BC, and if you dont have one, the types of accpted secondary documents are clearly mentioned.

Consulates issue a BC affidavit based on the birth date on the passport. If the BC was never issued, the date on the passport itself becomes questionable and hence the BC issued by the consulate has little value.

Birth certificate in Hindi

Where do I get the Birth Certificate translated - I assume INS will need English translation?

I google searched one. They require you to scan the document, they translate it and mail it to you, it usually takes about a week. They're good because they translate it and certify it for you. It needs to be certified.

payala said:
I google searched one. They require you to scan the document, they translate it and mail it to you, it usually takes about a week. They're good because they translate it and certify it for you. It needs to be certified.

Payala, would you mind sharing the url of that website? I googled myself but couldn't find an appropriate service in the 15-20 results that I scanned.

payala said:
How much did it cost? I also tried to do it online, but it was just so expensive.
I heard you can translate it yourself and then have it certified.

Turns out I still had them bookmarked:

http://www.baystateinterpreters.com/
http://www.aptranslation.com/Certified translations2.html
http://www.bridgelinguatec.com/TranslationServices/index.html

I used the second link, I THINK it was because it was cheaper but I might be wrong. They were good.

They are around my area because I thought I could go pick it up to expedite everything but it turns out that they just send it to an X location, wherever they have an available translator and notary and then they mail it to you.

Hope it helps.

Patty,

Hmm I don't remember exactly how much it was, I THINK it was $60 or so. I don't really know how much it is in other places. I was looking for a place around me so that I could go and get it done but couldn't find one.

I'm not sure if you can translate it yourself. I guess that as long as the notary signs it , it should be OK. I don't know how picky they are in signing translations though.

Sorry for the multiple posts but I just checked my paypal account and apparently I paid $45. After thinking that I paid $60, $45 sounds very cheap. :)

That IS very cheap. I tried the third of your links, too, and I think it was over a $100!
In the end, I sent mine home and had it translated and notarized in Germany for €70 altogether.

Translation can be done by anyone (the applicant or sponsor) who knows English and the language in reference fluently. Whoever translates it should certify it by including the footer and signing on it. There is no requirement by USCIS to have the translated document notarized or have it translated by a specific authority.

Instructions from USCIS:
Please submit certified translations for all foreign language documents. The translator must certify that s/he is competent to translate and that the translation is accurate. The certification format should include the certifier's name, signature, address, and date of certification. A suggested format is:

Certification by Translator

I <typed name> , certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and <language>languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled <document name>.

Signature <sign here>
Typed Name

Date Address

Ari,

You have a knack of finding stuff on USCIS website that people fail to (esp me). After reading in someone's post a similar statement (that anyone can translate and certify), I searched USCIS website for the template for certifying (the person also mentioned about some kind of template being available on the website), but couldn't find any useful stuff (just some generic stuff that foreign lang document translation was mandatory). Looks like you are referring to the page that has some kind of template. Can you please share the URL?

Thanks,

a_usc said:
Ari,

You have a knack of finding stuff on USCIS website that people fail to (esp me). After reading in someone's post a similar statement (that anyone can translate and certify), I searched USCIS website for the template for certifying (the person also mentioned about some kind of template being available on the website), but couldn't find any useful stuff (just some generic stuff that foreign lang document translation was mandatory). Looks like you are referring to the page that has some kind of template. Can you please share the URL?

Thanks,

sure :)
http://uscis.gov/graphics/fieldoffices/scnational/index.htm#H
Look at tip 13. The template i posted earlier is from this link and is suffficent for submitting translated documents.