Bill HR 3271

Nice, probably need to get poeple to write to their congressperson and senators to support this bill. However, please remember that GOP holds majority in both house and senate, so I ma not so optimistic about this.

Even GOP members could support it if it is likely to fetch them votes (in the future). We should pressurize our Congressmen.

drav,
I tihink it depends on where the congressperson is from. I think most GOP's would probably turn this bill down. In general, GOP's are not big fan of immigration. But hopefully, modreate GOP's, from more liberal states might want to support such bill (e.g. West coast states, NY.) We will see how this bill will fare. In the meantime, all we can do is promote this bill to our representatives in the house and senate by writing to them, asking for support.

Thank God that Rush Limbaugh is not around to mobilize a horde of right winger to oppose such bill. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
> Thank God that Rush Limbaugh is not around to mobilize a horde of right winger to oppose such bill.

and hope that Lou Dobbs or Buchanan do not notice it.

Originally posted by DaoMingTze
drav,
I tihink it depends on where the congressperson is from. I think most GOP's would probably turn this bill down. In general, GOP's are not big fan of immigration. But hopefully, modreate GOP's, from more liberal states might want to support such bill (e.g. West coast states, NY.) We will see how this bill will fare. In the meantime, all we can do is promote this bill to our representatives in the house and senate by writing to them, asking for support.

Thank God that Rush Limbaugh is not around to mobilize a horde of right winger to oppose such bill. :D

You are wrong. In general, GOP support legal immigration because of their contacts with corporate world and Democrats support legalizing illegal immigrants and other illegal immigration reforms. Even the bill HR 3271 is mostly for illegal immigrants. Obviously there are some exceptions.

Well Ed,

You might be right, and what you were saying does make sense. I am not a political expert, and I have not done a thorough research on GOP senate/congress voting records (no plan, and not enough spare time to do so).

But maybe several crazy ones like Tancredo gave me that false impression. But it seems the weak econ, etc makes the sentiment against legal immi seems to gain steam in general.

Originally posted by Edison
You are wrong. In general, GOP support legal immigration because of their contacts with corporate world and Democrats support legalizing illegal immigrants and other illegal immigration reforms. Even the bill HR 3271 is mostly for illegal immigrants. Obviously there are some exceptions.

Of-course, corporate interests are best served when this system is backlogged beyond repair as this is likely to ensure an enduring supply of cheap bonded labor. Extending that logic, there is every reason not to expect congress, as long as control remains in republican hands, to support any reform of the AOS system.

On the other hand, the Democrats are in bed with the lawyer lobby. The immigration lawyers do not stand to benefit much from illegals, asylum seekers, refugees etc. as much of this work is pro bono and what little fees they do get are calculated at court / government mandated rates, which, unsurprisingly, are not even adequate to keep the lights on. So the Democrats can, at little cost to their lawyer constituency, promote legalization of illegals, and happily provide special immigration windows for Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador, Indo-China etc. etc. It should come as no surprise, hence, that the fees-rich employment-based adjustment-of-status applicant population has no friends among Democratic lawmakers either.:eek:

There are only two ways out of this logjam - a concerted, well-funded lobbying initiative or a lawsuit forcing INS/Congress to comply with their statutory mandate. From all indications, neither of these seems to be a palatable / feasible course of action. The third alternative then is to retain some modicum of self-respect and chill, with the realization that we are where we are because of our propensity for mammon-worship, and eventually hope to find another bidder who will pay more for our servitude.:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not Sure That This Would Help Much Anyway

Since we are all in AOS anyway, we might not get much benefit from this. Basicly we have all already qualified for immigrant status, that was proven by the approval of our I-140. All of the other 'security' stuff will still need to be covered. My guess is that after 5 years you would be able to apply for I-485, they would not change this part of the process.

I think it helps a little bit

It adds a little more flexibility, e.g. if you're here for 5 yrs or more, you are less dependent on your company, you can change jobs as you wish. I have been wanting to go back to school for several years now, but cannot because I was stupid enough to file 485 more than 2 yrs ago. Had I known that this thing would take at least 26 months, instead of 6 months as advertised by my attorney at that time, I would have stayed with H1, and left my company by now for school.

davh

The idea of being legal and employed for 5 years is the same as in United Kingdom - where if you meet the above 2 criteria you are given Permanent Residency.

Btw, just incase if you didnt know - nobody waits there for years together like the AOS saga - Upon completion of 5 years, you show up at the Home Office in the morning with the papers and you get a PR stamping in the evening.

Wish America grew up too!
-MrCoolz