Best way to mail N-400

citipassport

Registered Users (C)
What is the best way to mail N-400 and how soon before your 90 days (before 5 years) should you mail it? What if the immigration gets it before your 90 days?

citipassport said:
What is the best way to mail N-400 and how soon before your 90 days (before 5 years) should you mail it? What if the immigration gets it before your 90 days?

I used US Postal Service Next Day Service to mail my application.

Cannot comment on the other two as I applied based on marriage and did not apply 90 days prior, but actually 10 or so days after the 3 year requirement.

I mailed my application on 12th January to the following address

California Service Center
24000 Avila Road, 2nd Floor, Room 2312
Laguna Niguel, CA 92677

However, I did not mention N-400 application on the address line. So I ma not sure whether I will have to resend the application.

It is a good idea to mail after the 90 day period begins. You can mail it the day your 90 day period begins so that your post mark is in the safe period. Many in he forum have also used registered first class mail. FedEx/UPS does not make a big sense.

I sent 70 days before so that I don't have to reschedule Oath. Oath can not be taken before 5 yr. anniversary. So, sending 90 days in advance really has no advantage. Plus you will loose all the peace of mind as the process is going good. I heard more than 90% cases is taking 70-80 days in most service centres.

I sent in Priority Mail + Tracking.

12/06/06: Mailed N400 to TX
12/11/06: Received DatePriority Date
12/12/06: Checks Cashed
12/15/06: Notice Date
12/20/06: I-797C, Notice of Action Received
12/26/06: FP Letter Received
01/04/07: FP Appointment
??/??/??: Interview/Oath

i mailed at the exact day (90 days before 5 year anniversary). registered first class takes 1 week to vermont. check still not cashed yet. :(

Superman said:
I sent 70 days before so that I don't have to reschedule Oath. Oath can not be taken before 5 yr. anniversary. So, sending 90 days in advance really has no advantage. Plus you will loose all the peace of mind as the process is going good. I heard more than 90% cases is taking 70-80 days in most service centres.

I sent in Priority Mail + Tracking.

12/06/06: Mailed N400 to TX
12/11/06: Received DatePriority Date
12/12/06: Checks Cashed
12/15/06: Notice Date
12/20/06: I-797C, Notice of Action Received
12/26/06: FP Letter Received
01/04/07: FP Appointment
??/??/??: Interview/Oath

It is very unlikely that you will have a oath date in less than 90 days.

My 2c.....

Exclusivelly USPS.....

1) Minimum: First Class Mail, registered(!)
2) Optimal: add "green return postal card"

I would avoid UPS, FedEx, DHL, USPS overnights or Express etc.

Do not go overboard. Make it simple, idiot-proof and efficent. I would rather add 1-2 extra days to shipping and have my application arrive via the most common channel than pay extra money for an uncommon channel and increase odds of mail screw-up and longer delays....

Remember: USICS is not your high performing Fortune500 company......but overworked, understaffed and highly bureaucratic org.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regular mail is perfectly fine. You can check your bank account to see when the check is cashed to get early proof of receipt. If you think of it, USCIS sends you all the correspondence through regular mail, not certified, registered, or any other way. I've seen many people getting anxious with certified or registered service when they see their packages failing delivery and things like that which shouldn't be an issue with regular mail. You're not sending irreplaceable documents so send it regular mail.

My 2 cents.

I used USPS Priority Mail, $4.05 (get a standard flat-rate envelope at the post office, or use regular priority envelope/your own envelope if the weight is below 16oz) from anywhere in the US. If you set up an account from usps website and print out the shipping label, delivery confirmation is free, otherwise you'll have to pay a little bit more at the Post Office for this service.

I didn't request signature because it might delay delivery. With tracking information available online, at least I knew it was delivered all right.

I've sent all my USCIS correspondence "Certified Mail" with "Return Receipt". I've had bad luck with the USPS web tracking system. They are *very* good with post cards, though. Getting that little green card in the mail is very gratifying. In my case, it showed up a couple of days before the notice.

Then you don't need to look at the web tracking site (and see confusing information).

But, that's just me.

cava said:
It is very unlikely that you will have a oath date in less than 90 days.

Now way days it is very likely. If you see some of the posts lately, most of them are 60-70 days from receipt date to Oath if yur DO schedule Interview and Oath on the same day. Most of the DO's are scheduling Interview/Oath on the same day. I hope processing times stay the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Superman said:
Now way days it is very likely. If you see some of the posts lately, most of them are 60-70 days from receipt date to Oath if yur DO schedule Interview and Oath on the same day. Most of the DO's are scheduling Interview/Oath on the same day. I hope processing times stay the same.

Nope... I never heard anybody getting in 70 days. Maybe there are some rare cases I would not know about; but we are talking about average. Average is not definetly 60 days. I would not miss 20 days to get in queu for that slim probability to happen.

Interview data to oath date is not the bottle neck in most cases; having them on the same day would not expdite it to a 2-month process.

I hope you get in 60-70 days. Good luck.