Best border in ontario

razer

Registered Users (C)
I was wondering if anyone has experienced a better or worse border crossing in ontario for tn application.
or if someone can recommend a certain crossing over others... :)

I only used the Sarnia/Port Huron crossing and it was a good one. In and out in 20-minutes. I've heard from others they had no issues with it as well. I was also told to stay away from the Windsor/Detroit one.

i have always used the toronto POE at the airport. it is very good as they process so many TNs. very fast. usually done in 5-10 minutes if paperwork is good.

i once used Jackman, Maine. It took a few hours as the border guards had never heard of a TN. They were quite nice though and approved it once they found out what i was applying for.

Last edited by a moderator:
gunt said:
i have always used the toronto POE at the airport. it is very good as they process so many TNs. very fast. usually done in 5-10 minutes if paperwork is good.
Hi gunt,

What do you mean by this ? Could you elaborate on this ?

I have been in the US since 2000, about 9 TNs (and TDs.) (I apply early when travelling).
Rule 1: Have all your paperwork, and a copy for the border.
Rule 2: Be patient and polite. They have to do their job. You know you are legitimate, they do not.
Rule 3: TNs are temporary, up to one year. On each of my applications, it was a new application, and my employer was asking for up to one more year.
Peace Bridge Buffalo: Can be slow, they are busy. I was declined their once because I did not have my original degree, only a copy, (so I drove to the next border, no problem). I now take a degree that has been notarized as an original copy.
Niagra North: Big waiting room, I would hate to see it full, I did not have a problem.
Vancouver airport: Slow, made the plane by minutes.
Port Tawassen (spelling?) South of Vancouver: They do not do TNs, I tried.
Miami airport coming from Europe: Do not go there. It took about 4 hours. TN is not their speciality.
Lubec Maine: I think I was the first TN they ever saw. I showed them what to do, as they read their manuals. I do not think they would issue a first time TN, mine was a "renewal". They were really nice at his border, understandably slow, couple of hours.
Due South of Montreal: Not good. They had us wait, then some questions, then wait, then some questions, etc etc, then the "TN" guy was not there. Worst border of the bunch in my experience.
Toronto airport: Good, but give it time. I have not been in years, but they used to have a small office and did the paperwork quickly.
Next March I will be trying the Tijauna/San Diego border crossing.
Each of these borders can be different depending on the actual people working.

Buffalo would be the best

Do not go to Windsor Border... Lot of Pain ... There is guy named P....n , he is big pain.

I got rejected in Detroit and got TN when I went through Buffalo

engineerinfl makes very good points.
I can only add 3 more things to his rules:
1) Arrive with plenty of time to do the paperwork -they will not be rushed.
2) Dress professional -TNs are for professionals, dress the part!
3) Dont quit your job before you have your new TN in your hand.

It can depend alot on who you get and how you present your info.

My experience:
I have been in the US since '97 on numerous TNs. for 4 different employers.
I never applied for a renewal, I just applied for a new one each time.
Windsor/Detroit crossing over the bridge ('05) -turned away because the particular officer was done for the day (very attitudish) -crossed at buffalo the next day.. I have heard the Tunnel is better than the bridge.
Niagara Erie crossing at Buffalo southmost crossing -never a problem but can take some time.
(small office but helpfull friendly people, not at all like the detroit office)
I have heard the peace bridge is a good office too.
Toronto airport -all terminals -never a problem but can take some time depending on volume of people applying for permits. (missed my flight once -give it an extra 2 to 3 hours)
Due south of montreal ('97) was turned away (dont remember why) returned a week later with additional info and recieved permit.

As far as a Mexican crossing goes -I wouldnt attempt to cross at a border where I didnt have a place to live/stay/work for an extended period in case I am denied.

Hope this helps.

engineerinfl said:
Next March I will be trying the Tijauna/San Diego border crossing.
Each of these borders can be different depending on the actual people working.

My wife went there 3 times in 3 years. San Isidro exactly in San Diego.
You have to have your paperwork in order, small bills for a TN fee, be patient and go there on weekday excluding Monday as it is very, very busy. First time we went on Sunday, took us about 2 hours to get to their office and it turned out they would not process TN on a weekend. They were nice about it and suggested we do not come on Monday as crossborder traffic is really heavy. So we always went on different weekday. Wait time varies form an hour to 2, 3 hours: looots of people cross this border so you have to wait your turn in line streching for hundreds of feet just to get to the office.
She never had any problems there as her letter was prepared by attorney and one time, even, officer commented that it was best he's ever seen.