Benefits for seniors

andheri

We just received our GC's thru family based petition. My questions are as follows:
1) Are People over the age of 65 entitled to any benefits (like social security, medicare etc..) without having contributed to the system yet

2) What is the procedure to follow if the above holds true

3) If my brother has sponsored me , how do his credits help me for my benefits

Thank you

The most significant loss of benefits for new migrants over 65 occured a few years ago. A new immigrant over 65 does not have access to medicare. Compounding this factor, insurance companies do not provide health insurance cover if there is no medicare coverage (for people over 65). There are companies who do provide insurance (Lloyds - some links of immihelp.com) but they cost an arm and a leg. There is a 5 year wait for senior immigrants over 65, to be able to access medicare.
brb

So, what do the seniors do. Are there any options other than going back home or pay for insurance.

I don't think social security is an issue. Most sponsoring children would be happy to meet the living costs. It is the health costs that is the issue here. Eg., there is a social security arrangement between US and Australia. As a citizen of Australia, the number of years I work here in the US is counted in Australia for social security. But if I had come here from Australia at 65 age, I would not get medicare here in the US. The medicare in Australia is reciprocal with several EU and commonwealth countries but not the US. Very few countries would be willing to fund the medicare costs in the US, where there is runaway health costs.

Priya, in regard to your question, aged parents should come to the US as immigrants before age 60 so that they can still be insured for 5 years at reasonable costs. At 65, medicare will kick in.

medicaid

What JoeF said is true regarding Social Security benefits and Medicare benefits: to be eligible for these you have to work for a certain number of years and accumulate a certain number of credits.

However, as far as I know, GC holders over 65 years old ARE eligible for Medicaid benefits, provided they satisfy some income requirements. Medicaid is a federal program supposed to provide help with medical care to low-income seniors. It is not a part of Social Security and does not require any work credits for eligibility. For example, the state of Illinois where I live does not participate in the Social Security/Medicare programs at all. We do not pay social security and medicare taxes and do not accumulate Medicare/Soc.Security work credits. However, Illinois does administer Medicaid as do all other states, I believe.

andheri, you need to check the rules regarding Medicaid in the state where you live, since they vary from place to place. This info is usually available on the state government web-site (Something like Health and Human Services department or maybe Public Aid). Or you could just find their number in the blue pages section from the phone book and make some phone calls.