Being a new immigrant, how can one get admitted by a US university?

vinniecyy

Dear Friends,

I am now over 18. If I go to the USA as an immigrant, how can I be admitted by a common university such as UC? I am now studying in my own country for a BA in economics. Then do I have to spend 3 years in a community college first and take another 3-4 years in a common university for a BA? Is it possible that I just go to a common university directly? or start all over again, as a freshwoman? and what about the tuition and living cost and any kind of financial aid from the goverment? THX a lot.

Vinnie Chan

Generally, it all depends on the level of recognition of your university in the States. I don't think you need to go to community college but you might not get full credit for your course depending on several factors.

If you have a 4 year undergraduate degree, chances are you can get into a reasonable Master's program. Otherwise, you will have to get as much credit towards an ordinary bachelor's degree as you can and then complete a US bachelor's

* Get all your transcripts/college records (preferably in English)

* You can go directly to BA/BS (or in MS/MA if you have 4 year equivalent degree in China) program in any of the US university.

* Depending upon your courses of BA in China, you can get credits for those courses; if the US university determines that they are equivalent. Even you can finish your BS in USA in 2-3 years depending how many credits you take each quarter/semester and how many credits they give you for your degree from China.

* You can get financial aid depending upon your income and immegration status..financial aid is mostly for Green Card holders and US Citizens.

* You may be able to work on campus or off campus (Off campus if you are Green Card holder / have work permit)

* Expenses depend upon location, university etc..whether it is privarte/public. Community colleges are always cheaper but they may not be as good as university system.

* Typically expenditure in California State University system might be around 18000 US $ with all of expenses. Again..this is just my experience and estimate.

Good luck.

Mayank