Be your own lawyer/ AP Renewal / I485 pending

bdazed

Registered Users (C)
I recently renewed my Advanced Parole documents (after I-140 approval). This post will document the highlights of the package my lawyer put together.

Cover Letter:

U.S. Department of Homeland Security
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Nebraska Service Center
P.O. Box 87131
Lincoln, NE, 68501-7131

RE: Application for Travel Document (FORM I-131)
Applicant: {Name} A# xx xxx-xxx

Dear Sir or Madam:

Please find attached the following in support of Mr/Mrs. [Name] request for renewal of Travel Document:

1) A check in the amount of $110.00 for filing fee.
2) An Application for Travel Document (Form I-131)
3) A letter in support of the application {See note 1}
4) Three (3) photos of Applicant taken according to CIS specifications.
5) A copy of the Applicant's previously issued Advanced Parole documentation
6) A copy of the Applicant's I-485 Receipt Notice
7) A copy of the I-140 Approval Notice for [Full Name]
8) A copy of the identification page of his/her passport, I-94 card and driver's license.
9) A copy of birth certificate of Application

[Name] has an Adjustment of Status Application pending at the Nebraska Service Center based on an I-140 petition that was approved on his/her behalf. We respectfully request that this application for travel document be approved. Please call if you have any questions.

notes:
1) Letter in Support of the Application

[Date]

United States Department of Justice
Immigration and Naturalization Service
Nebraska Service Center

RE: Request for Advance Parole

Dear Sir or Madam:

I currently have an I-485 application for adjustment of status pending with the Nebraska Service Cetner. I understand that U.S. Immigration laws and procedures permit me to receive an Advance Parole document, which will authorize me travel in and out of the U.S. while my I-485 is pending. I would like to request that your office approve my application for advance parole to enable me to travel to [home country], and possibly to other countries, in the months ahead to visit relatives and friends who reside abroad.

For this reason, I respectfully request that your office grant approval of my request for multiple entry advance parole while my application for permanent residence is pending.

Thank you for your attention to this matter

Sincerely,

[Sign your name]

2) Other than that just make sure the itemized list is included in the order it is written.

It was a slam dunk process for me. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice

Thanks, That was nice of you to put the comprehensive detail about the application process.

Cheers!
Currys

Thanks a lot.. that is really useful for me as I am in the juncture of applying for renewal

bdazed
based on ur docs list I have 4 comments.

1. why did you send 3 photographs?? App instructions says only 2 to send.

2. Is 9th documnet even required at all?? Never seen this on any post/instructions.

3. Driver license copy can be color also.

4. You forgot to mention about Marriage certificate if spouse's app is sent which is very important and i see some members being RFEd on that.

I think if we send additional docs (which are not required) it just adds workload on each officer and increases time to review a file then predicted and it eventually results in backlogs.

You shud be carefull in sending each documnent. Thats all i can say.

Njoy..........

Amcom,

I haven't been creative with the post. The cover letter posted is identical to what was sent to the USCIS by my lawyer. I'll defer to his judgment on what needs to be sent, given his experience and credentials. He works for a considerable law firm, and oversees dozens of immigration filings from large corporations.

If anything, I felt that the thoroughness will remove any doubt over the legitimacy of the claim.

Do you actually think that including a single photocopied page of a birth certificate is going to contribute to the backlog?????

But, good point on #4 re: marriage certificate. My fiance is American.

This is a wonderful idea to apply for EAD/Advance Parole ourselves. I will be applying for my 3rd EAD/Advance Parole renewal myself this time as it will save some money. Its not that difficult to apply yourself.

good job

it is of great help! I have reda many times people asking about such processing I think moderator may like to put this particular post at safe area and prominent. Just a thought so that later people can easily go to this. At least for few months till no major changes in such application are made.

bdazed

my comments were not directly to you specifically regarding increasing workload...

I just wanted to spread out a word for all other AP filers to watch what they are sending.. and if you read carefully form i-131 or any other form there's an estimated time to prcess(review) a file of an individual and it does get affected with numbers of ducuments attached per file.

People are sending docs in abundance already..... so its not just you....
Njoy....

u didn't say why u sent 3 photos.. any particular reason for that?? did INS changed the requirements on photos....