Bank account without SSN?

damagon

Hi guys, i am new to this forum.

I am green card lottery winner, and i came to the US about a week ago.
So far i only applied for social security number (last monday) but still didnt receive it.
My question is is there any bank i can open account without social security number?
I went to chase bank , and got rejected , they require some i797 /979 form, which i googled and doesnt even exist.
Went to bank of america today also, but they require : 2 type of IDs, phone number(american),lease proof of address(which i wont have in a month) and SSN.

Can someone please share their own experience with opening account without some of these

A social security number is required to open a bank account. Wait a couple weeks for the card to be produced. You could go to the local DMV to get a State ID or a driver's license if/when you qualify, but you require evidence of residence as well as proof of US legal presence.

Things take time. Everything won't happen as quickly as within a week.

Bank of America never used to require a ssn to open, it was always a popular choice for DV activators who just had a passprt to open an account with - I wonder if that’s changed recently?

Maybe Bank of America changed their requirements. On another forum i read an article of some girl, she said they closed her account for some reason ... as she said they required some kind of citizenship proof

Bank of America never used to require a ssn to open, it was always a popular choice for DV activators who just had a passprt to open an account with - I wonder if that’s changed recently?
I've always had to produce a SSN for opening a bank account, incl with BoA.

I've always had to produce a SSN for opening a bank account, incl with BoA.
Many people have reported only needing passports, not even proof of address. You don’t have to be a resident to have a bank account, and even many residents like H derivatives don’t have SSNs.
For chase I needed both ssn and proof of residence.

Edit: it may depend what type of account you want to open. I imagine they’d need less proof of stuff for a savings account than a checking one for instance.

It is NOT true that all banks require an SSN to open an account. I'm always surprised when people continue to deny this is possible when we see people doing that all the time. Often, the response varies by who you speak to in the branch, a little polite persistence is usually called for (as is usual in the USA). However, in the op's case, waiting a few days would solve the issue since the SSN will probably arrive within days.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/bankscredit-unions-allow-open-deposit-account-without-ssn/

https://www.tdbank.com/tdhelps/defa...nt-as-a-foreigner-with-no-ssn-yet/v/39645424/

Bank of America doesnt require a social security to open an account. I don't know. If every branch is different 'but without getting Into to specifics they would gladly take your cash to open an account.

All banks seem to have their own policies, even then, policies may differ from branch to branch depending on the rep you encounter. In my case, every time I've opened an account I've been asked for and provided a ssn number. But that's just my experience. I don't know what would follow if I insisted on not having/providing a number.

Getting back to OP's issue.. waiting a week or two would be helpful.