Baltimore tracker: marriage to a US citizen

simon_ship

Registered Users (C)
Baltimore office update:

I applied to Vermont office [you are not allowed to apply to Baltimore office directly] on 11/21/2004.

On 12/10/2004 I received three letters from Vermont office notifying that my case has been transferred to the Baltimore office.

On 01/07/2005 I received a letter from Baltimore office to come and to get my EAD. On 01/21/2005 I went to Baltimore INS office and received my EAD. That's the staus as of 02/08/2005. I'll update the forum when I hear from them again.

I urge the people applying or having applied to Baltimore office to update this tracker so that others could get a sense of how long the whole process will take.

Thanks.
- Simon Ship

I am pretty much in the same situation Simon.

Sent I-765, I-130, and I-485 to Vermont on 10/8/2004

Receipt notices of all above forms on 10/12/2004

Receipt transfer notice on 10/22/2004, all cases have been transfer to Baltimore office.

On 11/17/2004 picked up my EAD at Baltimore INS office.

Called National Service Center 2/11/2005 and was told that because I-130 and I-485 filed concurrently, decision will be made from Baltimore directly. And I-130 and I-485 would be approved/denied from Baltimore at the same time.

Hear nothing from them since. Not even the finger print notice?!

Have you had your finger print done yet?

Daniel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Daniel,

I haven't received any notice regarding finger printing. Part of the reason I started this thread was to find out where people like us stand. If more baltimore people reply to this thread that will give us an idea of how long we might have to wait.

Do update this thread when you hear anything from INS.

/Simon

Kay,

That's a new development. What cases are being moved to Chicago?

I think you should *definitely* pay a visit to the Baltimore INS office regarding your EAD. You should have had them long back.

/simon

after 7 months

Three monthe before your EAD expires, fill out an I-765 application, with copy of present EAD and if you got your I-485 a copy of this also with fee of $175.00 and mail to approiate office . good luck .

Visit to the Baltimore INS office

I visited the Baltimore INS office today. As expected I gained nothing from the visit. No definitive answer was given on when I would be getting the notice for finger printing. She mentioned that since my case was filed in Dec 2004, I should expect six to eight months *further* before the whole process completes.

What a waste of time!!

- Simon

New One...

Hi,
Here is my processing timeline so far as of 3/12/05
everything is pretty much same.

1/14/05 Filed I-130, I-485 and I-765 to Vermont Center
1/21/05 Receipt Notice
1/31/05 Transferred files to Baltimore Office
2/24/05 Received Letter for EAD
3/8/05 Pick up the EAD card at Baltimore office.

I am in Maryland and will keep posting any update.

ah! one quick question..
I am currently in H1B status which will expire 10/14/05.
Do I still have to renew my H1?

Young-

No need of H1-B renewal

Congrats Young.

Now that you have an EAD you don't need to renew your H1-B. Just show your EAD to your employer.

- Simon

EAD status and travel abroad

I am in same boat as Young.

I am getting married to a US citizen. At present I am on H1.

I understand that after obtaining my EAD, I can work. Incase of working on EAD [not renewing H1] travelling outside USA, is there any special dosument / permission I need to apply for

Thanks and any insight will be appreciated

vikas_chopra, you need to apply I-131, Advance Parole. I renew my H-1 with multiple entry and is valid until 10/2007. But all of my friends told me as soon as you submitted your AOS, your H-1 is no longer valid. So I applied I-131 on 03/09/2005 through the eFile, nothing yet.

Current status with Baltimore

I don't have much to add. Same status. If status has changed for anyone please do update us. In short my status is given below.

Applicaiton sent: 12/1/2004
EAD received : 01/07/2005

/Simon

some updates

Just wanted to post some update for you guys.

I called to the 800 number to check the status of my Advance Parole. I e-File I131 on 3/4/05 and got a receipt confirmation number at the same time but not heard from them since. The operator told me that because I e-file so the case goes to the National Benitfic Center automatically instead of the Baltimore office. Should have mailed the I131 to Baltimore :(

I also asked why I still have not received any finger-printing notice. He said the Baltimore office will mail out the FP notice only when the case is reaching the final decision. Usually one month before the interview day. In case FBI has not return any result to INS by the interview day, the interview will still hold and stamping the passport will be after the FBI finishes the checking.

I-131 I got in seven days

Hi Daniel,

I visited Baltimore INS office in person on 04/17/05 for I-131. The lady aske for my

1) passport
2) EAD card or H1-B sposorship
3) What countries I would be visiting and how long I intent to stay

She accepted the check and gave me a receipt of the same. She said the advance paroele will be mailed in 3 to 5 business days.

I received the papers today on 04/21/05.

Thanks.
/simon

got the notice...

Finally received the FP and interview notice.
FP is between 5/13/05 and 5/20/05.
Interview is on 6/7/05

Does anybody knows what kind of documents should be included in the 'affidivate of supports'?

long wait on fbi

i filed 485 in Nov 2003, still pending on fbi name check. :( lady in NSCIS said they will approve my 485 as soon as the name check result comes back

Hi belle,

Could you please give me the chronological order of events.

Files I-485: Nov 2003
Finger printing: ??
AOS Interview: ??

Did you originally file in Maryland or was it a case of transfer? Is your I-485 based on marriage? just confirming.

thanks.
/simon