Bad news for I-485 adjustment filed before 5/11/2005?

mmm-mmm

Registered Users (C)
I was told from CA that Real ID Act just applied those people who file their I-485 after the date the Real ID Act was passed. the I-485 filed before that date could not get any benefits from Real ID Act. does any one know this? I will call my laywer on Monday.

I don't think so either. It does not make sense new act only applies to new applicants. As CIS states in public hearing, it has been striving to reduce backlog for pending case no matter what case it is. It does not make sense for ICS only processes a case with a recent date rather than one applied several years ago.

mmm-mmm said:
the following is the message from my lawyer.

"It is true that the changes in the asylum law are effective only
for
applications filed after the REAL ID Act effective date. But quotas are
effective for all cases and immediately. If cases filed prior to the
change
in the law were subject to quotas and cases filed after were not, then
everyone with a pending case would withdraw and file again. What a
waste!
So, no the changes in the quotas are in response to the court case that
chided immigration for not using all the available visa numbers for
asylees
for the past several years. Different issue all together."

I don't understand what that suppose to mean. They are approving applications with ND 2000-2001 now. My ND is 05/05/2005 Don't tell me that I am one week early! :rolleyes:

Minsk said:
I don't understand what that suppose to mean. They are approving applications with ND 2000-2001 now. My ND is 05/05/2005 Don't tell me that I am one week early! :rolleyes:

The abolition of the quota applies to all pending adjustment cases and most of the substantive changes in asylum law are prospective.