Background Check Delay for Naturalization Interview

koko8

Registered Users (C)
I went for my Naturalization interview today and i had passed my American Historyand Government part. Nevertheless, i was informed by the officer that the back ground check from FBI has not arrive yet. Did anyone has any similar experience ? Can you please share with me how long would it take to clear the back ground check in EL Monte, CA.Thanks

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=136848

Did you know it was a FBI name check or IBIC (?? geez..i still can't remember the exact name!!!) check which it is performed by USCIS?

FBI name check (background check) would take from 1 day to many yrs

I have no idea of the 2nd one. However, my background check was not cleared at the time of interview. however, i was told it was the IBIC background check. I was cleared in 1.x months or so (or i would believe it was sooner than 1.x month. because about 1 month or 1.x month after my interview, i went to check on my case status. I was told nothing was pending ... (skipped rest of the story). So i believe my IBIC background check was completed before I went to the infopass appointment (i was given some dates about when the background check happened..it was 2 weeks after the interview.. etc)

Thanks for your info. Could u pls tell me more about IBIS. Becos the officer just told me that the back ground check has not come in yet and it will takes at least 1 month or so. Your information is much appreciated.

koko8 said:
Did anyone has any similar experience ? Can you please share with me how long would it take to clear the back ground check in EL Monte, CA.Thanks

I think my timeline answers to your question.

I also had my interview on Feb 8 and passed the test in Garden City, NY. The officer told me "A decision can not be made because of Pending Agency Checks". I didn't know there were several kinds of checks. So I didn't ask him specifically what checks were pending :). But he told me usually it took 2-3 months to clear the checks. I hope it is the IBIS check...