B1/B2 to H1 in Canada?

Maui

Registered Users (C)
Doctor w/ B1/B2: H1B stamp in Canada advisable?

Hello! I am a physician from the Philippines who has been accepted for a residency position in the US. I will not be able to file H1B application right away because I still have to clear another medical exam (USMLE Step 3) required for the visa, although my residency program has promised to sponsor me. My problem is, even if I will get an H1B status approved while I am in the US, I might not be able to go home to the Philippines to get a stamp because (1) stamping there takes a month and I might not make it to the start of residency in July, in which case the program might drop me and (2) I am afraid it will even take longer or I'll get rejected because of the impending US-Iraq war.

I am considering going to the US consulate in Toronto, Canada and getting a stamp there (convert my tourist B1/B2 visa to H1B). Do you think it is advisable?

I actually have a sister in Canada and I am booking a flight as follows: Philippines-Michigan-Toronto-Michigan-Philippines. If ever my visa application gets rejected in Toronto, will they let me fly back through the Michigan route or will they force me to take a flight straight out of the continent from Canada (not passing through the US)? The latter is because of the new rule I read that says if you get rejected, you cannot re-enter the US. I am not sure if this applies to me since my B1/B2 is valid till 2007 and I don't plan to overstay my I-94.

Hope anyone can help me. I am so worried. I would like to get a stamp so I can be free to visit my sister in Toronto if I ever have free time. I will consider the Toronto option if I have little time left and if I can still re-enter the US despite being rejected and not get a stamp anymore. Thanks!