B-2 to F-1

fugazi04

Hi,

One of my friends has a multiple entry B-2 visa and is planning to visit the US to explore some grad schools and get admitted to a school for her masters. I shall be much obliged if someone can give me some advice or suggestions about how she can change her visa status from a B-2 to F-1. My questions are as follows:

1. I was informed that to change visa status from a B-2 to F-1 she has to declare her intent to study here when she comes here as a tourist. Since she already has a visa can she declare her intent at the port of entry or does she have to declare it at the US consulate in native country?

2. Also, I would like to know if to change her visa status from a B-2 to F-1 she has to leave the country? If so, could she possibly get the visa stamped in Canada or Mexico (her nationality is Bangladeshi)?

3. Is it advisable to have a cousin or aunt, who is a US citizen, to sponsor her for the educational expenses that she has to show to obtain her I-20 and F-1 visa? Some recommend that to obtain a F-1 visa one should not disclose information on close relatives in the US.

4. Finally, what documents or evidence should she provide when she applies for her F-1 to show her ties to her native country?

Thanks in advance,