AVR Vs. Stamping Risks in Canada

marooti

Registered Users (C)
I will be landing in Canada at the end of this month. I have taken an appointment to get my H1 visa stamped so I can travel to india at any time. I am evaluating the risk of coming back on AVR OR to get the visa stamped before coming back to US. The more I think about it my decision is shifting towards AVR because of risks associated with getting the visa stamped in Canada. If anyone has opinion on this please comment.

To further investigate on AVR, today I called up Border POE at the Peace Bridge, Buffalo# 716-885-3367. The official said coming back into US on a valid I-94 on H1 visa is not a problem. He seemed to know about AVR clearly. But he was a little rude. Then I told him I am going for landing in canada and that I have also applied for GC upon which he said "Once cannot have GC going and at the same time get the PR for Canada.... and if the officials come to know about this they will not let me enter because my GC is in progress and I will be a PR of Canada when I return." I thought that was weird !!!!!. I guesss we must avoid talking abt GC as much as possible. Any comments?

Regards

Can H1 7th year get visa stamp in Canada?

I am also planning to do the same thing. Can someone comfirm that it is legal to get new stamped visa under 7th year H1B. Is it rumor that H1 after 6yr can not go to consulate to get stamp but can use 30-day AVR?

Any information or expirence would be highly appreciated!

I did my landing and came back on AVR without any problem.
After reading some of the stories on this forum I concluded that there is more risk involved in going for stamping than to come back on AVR. So I went with AVR.
Another thing is that the extensions I am getting is for 1 year every year so I can always go to my home contry (India) and take an emergency appointment and get the stamping done. Emergency appointments are given genrally to H1/L1 visa renewals within 15-20 days.

Thanks a million,marooti!
Which border did you come back through? Have the office mentioned anything about over 6 yrs H1 (I am asking because this implys the GC process in US), or did they ask about the purpose of going to Canada? Did they notice the landing visa on your passport?

I came back thru Rainbow bridge, Buffalo. At the border while entering US, they just asked me that You have not been outside USA for last 2.5 years, is that right? And I said yes. Thats it.