Atleast some good news for AC21 guys

reach_honey

Registered Users (C)
http://www.fragomen.com/index2.html

US IMMIGRATION HEADLINES 08/11/2003 - BCIS Issues Memo on I-485 Portability

August 11, 2003 -- In a memorandum dated August 4, 2003, the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services has issued guidance on I-485 portability in the context of concurrent filing and Section 106(c) of the American Competitiveness in the Twenty-First Century Act of 200 (AC21).

The memo first summarizes BCIS's interpretation of AC21 § 106(c), stating that if a Form I-140 has been approved and the Form I-485 has been filed and remained unadjudicated for 180 days or more, the approved I-140 will remain valid even if the foreign national changes jobs or employers, as long as the new offer of employment is in the same or similar occupational classification. If the I-485 has been pending for less than 180 days, the approved I-140 does not remain valid with respect to a new offer of employment. The memorandum confirms that the I-140 must be approved for portability to be available.

The memorandum goes on to discuss the effect of revocation or withdrawal of an approved I-140 on a pending I-485. The guidance on this issue is as follows:

According to BCIS, if the employer withdraws the approved Form I-140 on or after the date that the Form I-485 has been pending 180 days, the approved I-140 remains valid under the provisions of Section 106(c) of AC21.
BCIS expects that a foreign national will have submitted evidence that his or her new offer of employment is in the same or similar occupational classification.
If the underlying Form I-140 has been withdrawn and the foreign national has not submitted evidence of a new qualifying offer of employment, the adjudicating officer must issue a Notice of Intent to Deny the pending Form I-485.
If the foreign national timely responds to the Notice with evidence of a qualifying job offer, the BCIS may consider the Form I-140 to remain valid with respect to that offer and regular processing of the I-485 may continue.
If the foreign national timely responds to the Notice but does not establish evidence of a qualifying job offer, the adjudicating officer "may" immediately deny the I-485.
If the foreign national fails to respond or timely respond to the Notice, the adjudicating officer "may" immediately deny the I-485.
If approval of the Form I-140 is revoked or the Form I-140 is withdrawn before the I-485 has been pending for 180 days, the approved I-140 is no longer valid with respect to the new officer of employment and the I-485 may be denied. Prior BCIS guidance indicates that revocations are retroactive to the date that withdrawal was requested by the employer; therefore it is possible that, though a revocation may be effected by BCIS after 180 days have elapsed, it will be deemed to have occurred prior to the 180-day mark if the employer requested withdrawal before that time.

The offer of employment must be in good faith and the employer must have had the intent, at the time the I-140 was approved, to employ the beneficiary upon adjustment. The memo goes on to note that there is no requirement that the beneficiary of the I-140 actually be in employment until permanent residence is authorized and that it is possible for a foreign national to qualify for the provisions of Section 106(c) even if he or she had never been employed by the prior petitioning employer or the subsequent employer.

Good news : The previous employer cannot touch an AOS applicant after 180 days of filing of I-485 is over.

Bad News : If the employer had sent a request to revoke an approved I-140 on the 179th day after the I-485 has been filed, the AOS can be denied later. Some folks who had changed employers before 180 days could be sitting on a ticking time bomb and not know it.

it is indeed good news in that it clarifies in writing that which we already know.

But according to my interpretation, it dictates that if you change employers, you must send a letter to INS stating the AC 21 rule. This might lead to more rfes?

Who knows- we wait and watch!

reach_honey ,
Thanks for good news. everyone was expecting this for quite some time.

waytoolong,
I accept your interpretation.

so best thing from my side,I would suggest. ONe should inform BCIS as soon as they change Job when using AC21. Just to be in safe side.
B'coz once you case comes up in hand GOD know when you would get next time.
Also good part is of Salary.
I think that ball goes to BCIS officer how to interpret. I know 'Same or Similar" type phrase. But salary part is not touched.So may be they don't care for salary part.
Or may they do but again as i said previously in hand of BCIS officer.
Any views in Salary part.???:rolleyes:

May not matter

because again it says that it only expects. Morever, the memo says that if the 140 is withdrawn and employee doesnt show new offer....then there maybe NOID. Nowhere do they address the issue of not notifying.
I guess then the big thing is that 140 should not be withdrawn and definitely not before 180 days of the 485.

Question...

I got Fragomen's link, but I was wondering if anyone knows where the actual text of memorandum may be found...I could not find it on the BCIS website.

Any help is greatly appreciated...

Re: Question...

Originally posted by rav8tor
I got Fragomen's link, but I was wondering if anyone knows where the actual text of memorandum may be found...I could not find it on the BCIS website.

Any help is greatly appreciated...

180 days

is it 180days after I-140 approval and 485 pending for 180 days? does this rule apply for those who have completed 180days of 485 and I-140 pending for over 14months!! so once the I-140 is approved and you have completed 180days will it be safe to change the job?

pl post any suggestions
thanks

For concurrent filing I think you have to count after I-140 was approved. For the other filing I-485 has to be unadjucated for 180 days after filing (which happens after I-140 is approved).

What happens

>>If both I140 and I485 are applied concurrently and not approved for more than 180 days.

>>The Employee changes the Job with similar salaray, Job Description and Job Title using EAD as employee does not have H1B anymore.

>> The Employer revokes the I140

Can the Employee use AC21 and file I140 and I485 with the New Employer ??

Thanks

Originally posted by waytoolong
For concurrent filing I think you have to count after I-140 was approved. For the other filing I-485 has to be unadjucated for 180 days after filing (which happens after I-140 is approved).

Waytoolong, I read the pdf file, it says 180 days are counted from the Receipt Date. No mention of I-140 approved or not.

And thanks for the link.

aww thank heaven

The best news in a long time!!!!

I have been waiting for this memo all these days. We had a 485 that was filed on April 2002. This was denied based on employer revocation in Feb 2003. (10 months after the 485 was pending).

Attorney Murthy talked to Efren Hernandez on July 2 2003 (the date when she filed an Motion to Reconsider on my behalf) We have been waiting with bated breath for this memo to come since it would give credence for our MTR.

We should have more of the likes of Attorney Murthy who dont hesitate to talk to INS headquarters on the behalf of hapless immigrants.

Raja,
Can you give us some more details about your pending Motion To Reopen petition ?

1) Is there a separate form for it ?
2) What happens to your EAD and AP when I-485 is declined ?
3) Can one continue working on EAD while Motion To Reopen is Pending ?
4) Also can one use AP to travel ?

Also what was your status when 485 was declined ?

Thanks !!!

Re: aww thank heaven

Originally posted by raja0719
The best news in a long time!!!!

I have been waiting for this memo all these days. We had a 485 that was filed on April 2002. This was denied based on employer revocation in Feb 2003. (10 months after the 485 was pending).

Attorney Murthy talked to Efren Hernandez on July 2 2003 (the date when she filed an Motion to Reconsider on my behalf) We have been waiting with bated breath for this memo to come since it would give credence for our MTR.

We should have more of the likes of Attorney Murthy who dont hesitate to talk to INS headquarters on the behalf of hapless immigrants.

Raja0719 - this memo should definitely help you get approved soon. Good luck and keep us posted.

Question - how did you come to know that the previous employer revoked the I-140 ? Was it in the INS website or did INS send you a NOID letter ? Do you know how long it took for INS to act on the I-140 revocation request from your ex-employer ?