Atlanta N-400 Update

Kim Hardin

Registered Users (C)
Well, we have made it through the citizenship process in less than 2 yrs. As rpomised and sorry for teh delay, here is our timeline. My fiance is from Morocco with no notable problems in his file except for a divorce and a name change. No arrests or tickets, he's been a good boy whose been in the US for 12 yrs. Here we go on our timeline:

Priority Date 12/14/00
Fingerprint 01/26/01
Fingerprint #2 06/18/02
Notice of Interview rcvd 06/28/02
Interview Date 09/16/02 (set up for same day Oath)
Oath Date 09/30/02

Okay, our experience on the Interview date was he passed everything with flying colors and given a letter stating he passed and then he was sent on his way to wait for the next, same day Oath ceremony. Well, once they started calling in people for the oath, they didn't call him b ut rather called him back to the interviewier. The interviewer said something was wrong with his file, like a date misfiled and that they would straighten up this matter and send him a notice for the oath ceremony. Quite a bummer and he actually found an immigration Attny who helped him find out what was wrong. Be it soemthing with his ex-wife or the dates on his green card. The attny advised him to file a form for Freedom of Information Act so that he could see his entire file and in hopes of forcing the INS to keep the file active. He went back to the INS the next day to see what he could do to keep things going, and nothing. That was Tuesday. On friday of the same week, we received his Oath Ceremony letter, which signalled that all was worked out and we now had a date. They must have just run him back through the FBI again cause the file was cleared up by Thurs and we got the notice on friday. They worked fast to ajdicate him.

Day of Oath: Well, 8am we're there for the Oath Ceremony. The day was uneventful as he was administered the oath at 9:50am. This was the last day of their fiscal year, so they were cramming in so many people for the morning oath. There was about 115 people. Of that, there were maybe 3 muslim men, 1 older palestinian lady and 1 30 something Iranian mother. The rest were Vietnamese, China, and latin folks. Sorry to be so crude, but this is the same mix of people he saw on Sept 16 (Interview date). They are no processing quickly or with any frequency any males from muslim countries, simple fact I saw with my own eyes. Well, he got his certificate in hand and we left, hopefully never to set foot in the INS again. The day was hectic and you could see that the INS is trying to weed down it's outstanding cases from the timelines of the people I spoke to.

Well, that's all for me. I truly appreaciate all those who've shared their experience and who gave us hope that we too would see the light at the end of the tunnel. If you need a lawyer, please contact Marshall Cohen of Cohen & Associates in Atlanta, GA. Mr. Cohen was generous with his time and extremely helpful and knowledgable. Should you need an atty, call him. Thank you and bon Voyage.

Kim