At what point in my wife's GC process can she travel outside of USA?

tr3

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I'm a US citizen. I'm married to my wife who is a non US citizen. We are about to apply for her GC, but we are planning to travel outside of the US soon after.

My question is, at what point can she leave the country without voiding her GC process? And what forms (if any) would allow her to leave the country while her GC is in process?

Another question is how long will the entire GC process take? We are planning to submit the GC application ourselves.

Thanks a whole bunch!

Last edited by a moderator:
tr3 said:
Hello,

I'm a US citizen. I'm married to my wife who is a non US citizen. We are about to apply for her GC, but we are planning to travel outside of the US soon after.

My question is, at what point can she leave the country without voiding her GC process? And what forms (if any) would allow her to leave the country while her GC is in process?

Another question is how long will the entire GC process take? We are planning to submit the GC application ourselves.

Thanks a whole bunch!
With the GC application, she will needs to file for I 131(AP) which upon approval will allow her to travel outside provided she has entered here legally and have not been illegal (overstayed her visa) till the day you file.
It takes about 2-3 months to get AP approved.
Timeline for GC process is depends on your local district office.

Actually, you can still apply for her I-131 if she has over stayed her visa by less than 180 days. If the over stay is more than 180 days, she cannot travel till she receives her physical green card.

falcon7a said:
Actually, you can still apply for her I-131 if she has over stayed her visa by less than 180 days. If the over stay is more than 180 days, she cannot travel till she receives her physical green card.
I would say it is too risk.