Asylum years later

Hello everyone!

I'm looking for some experience from people who applied for asylum after one year deadline.
I want to hear your stories, you can PM me as well.

Did you case go directly to a court or you go through the interview?
What was the circumstance that made you applied after a year? And how many year later did you apply?
I'm trying to help a friend of mind with advice before he talks to a lawyer.

Thanks for your help!

It’s ok to apply after one year or even more as long as when you’re applying you’re not out of status.

Hello everyone!

I'm looking for some experience from people who applied for asylum after one year deadline.
I want to hear your stories, you can PM me as well.

Did you case go directly to a court or you go through the interview?
What was the circumstance that made you applied after a year? And how many year later did you apply?
I'm trying to help a friend of mind with advice before he talks to a lawyer.

Thanks for your help!
No one gonna message you!!! Everyone has their own privacy so look it up on google and first of all you trying to collect info for yourself not your friend lol since when a friend makes a whole topic just to help a friend! you need to be honest and good luck.

No one gonna message you!!! Everyone has their own privacy so look it up on google and first of all you trying to collect info for yourself not your friend lol since when a friend makes a whole topic just to help a friend! you need to be honest and good luck.
First of all, it's sad that you've never tried to help a friend since you can't accept that sometimes people are asking questions for others.
Second, read the forum and you'd find a lot of posts and comments indicating that my case was approved long time ago. So the information I am "trying to collect" quote serves no use to me.
But anyhow, I'd like to talk to people and hopefully help my friend and encourage her to make another step in her long way.

P.S. In fact people aren't afraid to share their experiences, since I was contacted twice already. I'm asking the details of their cases.

Last edited:
Reactions: CWH
First of all, it's sad that you've never tried to help a friend since you can't accept that sometimes people are asking questions for others.
Second, read the forum and you'd find a lot of posts and comments indicating that my case was approved long time ago. So the information I am "trying to collect" quote serves no use to me.
But anyhow, I'd like to talk to people and hopefully help my friend and encourage her to make another step in her long way.

P.S. In fact people aren't afraid to share their experiences, since I was contacted twice already. I'm asking the details of their cases.
It's possible to file after one year of the entry date, but there must be convincing evidence why your friend will be filing out of the timeframe. I came in the U.S. many years before I filed for asylum. My case went through the same process as everyone else who filed within one year. During the interview, the asylum officer considered if there was merit to that. Mine was because the situation in my country changed recently before I filed. I was then qualified to file (within one year of the change).

I hope that helps. By the way, I appreciate that you help your friend. I would be willing to do the same for my friends, too!

It's possible to file after one year of the entry date, but there must be convincing evidence why your friend will be filing out of the timeframe. I came in the U.S. many years before I filed for asylum. My case went through the same process as everyone else who filed within one year. During the interview, the asylum officer considered if there was merit to that. Mine was because the situation in my country changed recently before I filed. I was then qualified to file (within one year of the change).

I hope that helps. By the way, I appreciate that you help your friend. I would be willing to do the same for my friends, too!
Thank you, I really appreciate your information!
I'm trying the best I can with all the knowledge I have

That really helps! I always thought if it's over 1 year since your arrival to the US your case automatically goes to a court. Without even a chance of having an interview.