Asylum Process

twix&snikker

Registered Users (C)
Greetings to you all. I arrived in the USA in December 2002, and have been using a very good Attorney - has cost me everything I have, but she has done a fantastic job so far. I filed for Asylum in February 2003, and received my fingerprint notice and INS interview notice within a space of two days of eachother. I went for the fingerprints two weeks ago, and had the interview last week. I was in the office for 3hours and I believe it went well. Can anyone tell me what the process is from here on? At the end of July, I believe I can apply for a EAD because even though I have had the Interview, the outcome is pending therefore, the period of 150 days will have lapsed. Once I apply for an EAD, how long will it take before I can work? What are the other forms of assistance a person seeking Asylum can receive? Like all of us, I am honest, hard working, and ready to engage in the system, but it is seemingly so very difficult. How is a person expected to survive without being allowed to work for 180 days? This is almost an impossible situation and unfair in many respects. Many of us have left our home under force and fear of persecution and possible death, and now we are almost starving and going homeless. Is there any form of assistance available to us as Asylum seekers? I really would love to hear from anyone out there who is in a similar situation, i feel almost as if I am going through this dreadful process on my own, is it as hard as this for everyone out there? I look forward to hearing from you and any advice you may be able to offer. Thank you for this forum at least I can ask questions and share freely with people who have gone before and seen how this new system works for needy people such as us. Thank you once again for all your comments and advice.

God Bless

Originally posted by twix&snikker
Greetings to you all. I arrived in the USA in December 2002, and have been using a very good Attorney - has cost me everything I have, but she has done a fantastic job so far. I filed for Asylum in February 2003, and received my fingerprint notice and INS interview notice within a space of two days of eachother. I went for the fingerprints two weeks ago, and had the interview last week. I was in the office for 3hours and I believe it went well. Can anyone tell me what the process is from here on? At the end of July, I believe I can apply for a EAD because even though I have had the Interview, the outcome is pending therefore, the period of 150 days will have lapsed. Once I apply for an EAD, how long will it take before I can work? What are the other forms of assistance a person seeking Asylum can receive? Like all of us, I am honest, hard working, and ready to engage in the system, but it is seemingly so very difficult. How is a person expected to survive without being allowed to work for 180 days? This is almost an impossible situation and unfair in many respects. Many of us have left our home under force and fear of persecution and possible death, and now we are almost starving and going homeless. Is there any form of assistance available to us as Asylum seekers? I really would love to hear from anyone out there who is in a similar situation, i feel almost as if I am going through this dreadful process on my own, is it as hard as this for everyone out there? I look forward to hearing from you and any advice you may be able to offer. Thank you for this forum at least I can ask questions and share freely with people who have gone before and seen how this new system works for needy people such as us. Thank you once again for all your comments and advice.

God Bless

Weclome to the forum. Yes, it sucks to stay 6 months without a work permit. Let us hope you get an approval soon so that you would not need an emplyment authorization. See, if you become an asylee, the need for the emplyoment card would be obselete. Did they tell you when you should come to get the decision? The problem is that the employment authorization may take 90 days to be issued and i believe that since this is your first one, you really have to wait until it is issued. I know it is hard to live this way but do not work illegally since the INS is currently acting in a very strange way and making silly excused to revoke legal status of many new immigrants. Check out this web site since i may help you with resources: http://www.immigration.com/newsletter1/dhhscommmicroenterpriseproj.html the only problem is that this will only help you if your case is approved. Good luck

Re: Re: Asylum Process

Originally posted by shamshon
Weclome to the forum. Yes, it sucks to stay 6 months without a work permit. Let us hope you get an approval soon so that you would not need an employment authorization. See, if you become an asylee, the need for the emplyoment card would be obselete. Did they tell you when they would make the decision whether to grant you asylum or not? The problem is that the employment authorization may take 90 days to be issued and i believe that since this is your first one, you really have to wait until it is issued. I know it is hard to live this way but do not work illegally since the INS is currently acting in a very strange way and making silly excuses to revoke legal status of many new immigrants. Check out this web site since i may help you with resources: http://www.immigration.com/newsletter1/dhhscommmicroenterpriseproj.html The only problem is that this will only help you if your case is approved. Good luck

Thank you for your information. Indeed this is a very hard road. I will not work, because it is not allowed, all I can do is waite for the outcome of the application. I just would like to know how other people who are in a similar situation are surviving daily. The system does not cater for asylum seekers and yet you are expected to waite such a long period for an answer. Surely there is some form of help during the waiting process - otherwise some people might end up on the streets. I was told I could receive my outcome within two weeks or possibly one year. I do hope and pray that it comes sooner than later, because my family and I are on the verge of suffering and this is a sad time for us. Thank you for your helpful information once again.

God Bless

At the end of the interview, did they tell you that the decision will be mailed to you? Was the interview at an asylum office or a satellite office.

I had the interview at an INS office, and was told the result would be mailed - the delay indicator was between two weeks and one year to receive the result. is this a normal time frame? if so what happens in the meantime? This is such a long drawn out process. What have you all done to survive while waiting for results...please give some ideas so that we can plan accordingly.

Thank you for your replies.

In 9 out 10 cases, you are invited back to the asylum office to pick up the decision in person in two weeks. Were you interviewed at an ASYLUM OFFICE or another BCIS office?

I had the interview at an INS OFFICE, and signed a form to say I had the interview and the result will be posted to me. I was not told to go back and collect the result at any time, they said it would be mailed. My question is what happens in the meantime?

Thank you

There are many types of immigration offices across the country. One type is called the asylum office. My question was did you go to one of those offices.

But in any case, nothing will happen in the interim and you will have to wait patiently for their letter. As soon as the 150 day mark passes, you can of course apply for a work permit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, fingerprints were processed at a local INS office. The actual INS interview took place at the INS/Asylum/Immigration Building in the city I am staying in. It was a huge facility. Does that help?

This is the letter I signed:

Decision Regarding you Application for Asylum - Mail out Notice.

You have just completed your interview with an Asylum Officer. You are not required to appear in person at this office to receive your Asylum Officers's decision on your application. Rather, the decision will be mailed to the most recent address you provided this office.

Also, just so you know, I did go to one of those Offices listed on the link you sent, thank you - you are very helpful.

twix&snikker,

I understand you frustration, but there is not much you can do other than wait for the letter.

In regard to you question of financial assistance, I am not aware of any such government agencis's program. But you might want to check out some community non-profit organizations such as Jewish community agency, Asian community agency, etc. They might be able to help.

Sorry for not being more helpful. Good luck to you and hope you get your approval letter soon so that you can work.