asylum i-485

sidman

Registered Users (C)
how long it will take to get the final answer after interview been taking for the green card,i just had interview on the 09th of the las month december for the green card based on asylum case,i asked the officer who made the interview with me about the final answer ,she said i dont know how long it will takes,so any body knows how long it will takes ?

It varies from case to case

Sidman, No one can give you a specific answer on that but if there is no problem, it shouldn't be long. Could you post your time line when you got your asylum and what was you Notice date for your I-485 ?
Thanks

asylum

i got my asylum approved on 02/ 1999, thats was my final approvel letter , i applyed for the green card i-485 back on 02/2000, so my recipte lettel date was 29/02/2000 , got fingerprint done on the 03/30/2004 , my case was transfered to locel office back on 07/27/2004 , i had to go for interview in the local office ..las vegas ..12/09/2004....since then dident hear anything from the immigration office ...the interview officer told me that she going to send my case back to nebrasca to see if they have any visa numbers left to be given out after the interview been taken ..

Thanks

Thanks for the info Sidman. Its good to know that they are working on 02/29/2000 cases. Otherwise USCIS website shows that they are processing the cases they received on or before 12/18/99.

that is a good news. however, my RD is Dec 28, 99 and still nothing. How are they dealing with these cases? Obviously not in order ... OR ... they send all the request for the RFE and the rest should be approved soon.

Keep us posted ...

Notorious

Nofreedom, as we know USCIS is notorious for not following the FIFO rule. But looking at your date, my guess is your approval shouldn't be too far. Processing ahead could be part of involuntary improvement as a result of Ngwanyia Ashcroft but that is totally a speculation.
USCIS works in his own mysterious ways....

sidman said:
i got my asylum approved on 02/ 1999, thats was my final approvel letter , i applyed for the green card i-485 back on 02/2000, so my recipte lettel date was 29/02/2000 , got fingerprint done on the 03/30/2004 , my case was transfered to locel office back on 07/27/2004 , i had to go for interview in the local office ..las vegas ..12/09/2004....since then dident hear anything from the immigration office ...the interview officer told me that she going to send my case back to nebrasca to see if they have any visa numbers left to be given out after the interview been taken ..
did they ask u any question about your asylum case?

Punjabi_Munda said:
Nofreedom, as we know USCIS is notorious for not following the FIFO rule. But looking at your date, my guess is your approval shouldn't be too far. Processing ahead could be part of involuntary improvement as a result of Ngwanyia Ashcroft but that is totally a speculation.
USCIS works in his own mysterious ways....

agree totaly :)

i went to interview on the 12/09/2004 at las vegas local office in nevada for the green card based on asylum case, my appoiment was at 09:00 am , i went at 8:30 am until the immigration officer called me the time was 9:30 am ,i went inside the room before that she let me to singe and had my one finger been fingerprint (thump),then i went inside here room and we set down after that she told me to raise my hand to sware about telling the true and nothing but the true ,i did so .....she asked me about my IDs to make a copy of them to make sure i am the right person, then she start it asking my the same aqutions in my i-485 application(samething), and she asked me about if iam still feel scared to go back home and there is still danger on my life if i go back home ? my answer was yes for sure....and thats why i couldent renew my passport all this years.....then she told me to go and get here new pitures cuz they changed the old law to new one by have you pic be taken on the front not on the side any more. i went and i did that for her i took 4 pics , in the end of the interview she told me the next step is return you case back to nebraska , and ask them for a visa number if there is any left to be given out from 10000 numbers a year........ so iam still waitting for the final answer from the immigration office since day of the interview 12/09/2004 . every state and distric is different than other .

Strange

Thanks for the information Sidman. This is the first time I heard someone questioned an asylee about continued fear of persecution in his/her own country at the time of interview for I-485 approval. Not that it is totally out of the question, but makes me wonder how are these few questions more important than the two hour grueling interview by an Asylum Officer before they gave us asylum... May be its just another new formality .... :confused:

Any influence

Hi, guys!

We applied for our change of status based on grant of assylum in June 2004. The processing dates on the INS web-site show that we need to wait for more than 10 years for our application to be processed! When the letter of receipt says it only takes INS up to 500 days or so. So, basically, we are waiting for extra 8 years just because of some bureaucracy!

Is there any way we, as assylees, could have any influence on legislation to increase the number of such applications processed each year? Perhaps, we could write a letter to our congressmen (whoever is in charge of such issues) and give them a basis on which they could prepare the bill for the Congress.

I read about the bill which didn't pass (I think in 2002), where it was suggested to completely waive the limitation. If they don't want to waive it, then, perhaps, they could add another let's say 10000 applicants to the current 10000, and make it at least 20000 a year. At least until INS processes all 160000+ pending applications.

This is just so unfair to be waiting for such a long time just because of some bureaucracy. We are living in this country, working for american economy, paying taxes like any citizen, but we can't participate in the decisions that the people of America make for their country.

What do you say if we all write one letter and send it to the congressman in charge? I say we should fight for our rights. I really hope we can unite our forces and try to fight. We can't just sit and wait, and complain.

Sincerely!

welcome to the club :( We already tried many things, even writing to the congresmen. Trust me, nobody cares about us. The only possible relief in the near future is the lawsuit agains USCIS check here
This is only temporary, and sorry to say this, I don't see anything else on the horizon. Maybe you can try with the employment, or marriage to US citizen. Research this forum, you will see that you can have 2 I-485 pending application with USCIS, however, never forfit your asylee status. This is the best according to my knowlege at this time.

i called immigration office with 1-800 number this morning and asked them about how long it takes to get the final answer after the date of interview for the green card based on asylum and they told me its take about 60 days to procese the case.

sad

Hi Guys!

Thanks for the brief update. It really made me sad. :( I was hoping there were some ways we could fight this.

Thanks for the advice on 2 pending i-485 applications though. I didn't know it was possible. :confused: I am married to my wonderful husband :p , so, I will try to think something through the employment then. :rolleyes:

Nofreedom, how long have you been waiting for your i-485 to be processed?

Sidman, congratulations! For you it's almost over! :) Good luck getting the answer on-time! :)

Ioneska said:
Hi Guys!

Thanks for the brief update. It really made me sad. :( I was hoping there were some ways we could fight this.

Thanks for the advice on 2 pending i-485 applications though. I didn't know it was possible. :confused: I am married to my wonderful husband :p , so, I will try to think something through the employment then. :rolleyes:

Nofreedom, how long have you been waiting for your i-485 to be processed?

Sidman, congratulations! For you it's almost over! :) Good luck getting the answer on-time! :)

my RD is Dec 28, 1999.

Nofreedom,

For you the waiting is almost over as well! You will probably receive your green card before the end of this year! That's great! :) Congratulations!

Hi guys! It's me again. I just spoke to an immigration lawyer. He said that I can't apply for green card based on employment because to apply for H1B visa I have to go back to my country, which I certainly cannot do. What do you think? Can INS process my H1B visa application with me not leaving the US? Do I have to change my status from asylee to H1B to apply for employment based green card at all? I am confused. :confused:

Why do you need H1B when your employer can file a PERM (labor certification application) for you to determine that they can not find an american citizen for this job (the employer will need to advertise the position). Then after the labor certification is approved, you will need to file form I-140 that will be approved by CIS and then an I-485 to adjust status. Please check with another lawyer. They should be able to tell you. I believe the only trick here is to prove that no american is fit or is willing to apply for the position.
Just my 5 cents.

karina said:
Why do you need H1B when your employer can file a PERM (labor certification application) for you to determine that they can not find an american citizen for this job (the employer will need to advertise the position). Then after the labor certification is approved, you will need to file form I-140 that will be approved by CIS and then an I-485 to adjust status. Please check with another lawyer. They should be able to tell you. I believe the only trick here is to prove that no american is fit or is willing to apply for the position.
Just my 5 cents.

Correct.

Find another lawyer.

Thanks, guys! :) I will check with another lawyer! Has anyone done this before though? Did it work out for anybody? Could you please share your story?