Asylum Granted P Resident can they travel back to their country?

Markus

Registered Users (C)
from Asylum to P Resident can they travel back to their natal country?

I have several questions about the limitations of obtaining Permament resident derivated from Politica Asylum:

1. Once people obtain Permanent Resident what are the limitations for traveling abroad?

2. People who are in danger can travel back to their countries after obtain permanent residency derivate from political asylum?

3. People with Permanent Resident derivated from Asylum are able to travel abroad without any other visa to countries like Mexico and Canada?

4. Is it legal for people with Permanent resident derivated from Asylum to visit the country who they are in danger?

Last edited by a moderator:
Markus said:
I have several questions about the limitations of obtaining Permament resident derivated from Politica Asylum:

1. Once people obtain Permanent Resident what are the limitations for traveling abroad?

2. People who are in danger can travel back to their countries after obtain permanent residency derivate from political asylum?

3. People with Permanent Resident derivated from Asylum are able to travel abroad without any other visa to countries like Mexico and Canada?

4. Is it legal for people with Permanent resident derivated from Asylum to visit the country who they are in danger?

1-Do not stay abroad for more than six months unless you get a Reentry Permit allowing you to stay abroad for up to two years.
2-Up to them.
3-Yes.
4-Up to them

RD Aug 22,2001
Approved Sep 15,2005
GC received Sep 20,2005

Traveling back to country of persecution after becoming L.P.R.

Hello,

I have some questions please.

I have applied for Asylee Adjustment to Permanent Resident Status.
And my application (I-485 ) has been approved and I received my Permanent Resident Card (I-551)

My question is, do you think that now I can travel back to my country to see my mother who I did not see for over 4 years, could cause a problem and might drive the I.N.S. to take an action to reopen my case and withdraw my new status.

And assuming here that it will be OK to travel back for a visit, can I renew my passport or would this be a sign of asking for a re-protection from the country of persecution.
If I can't renew it, do I have to apply for refuge travel document or a re-entry permit as a replacement to my passport ?

I’m seeing the Publication for Asylee M-661 (12/5) Please take a look at www.uscis.com
My comment for this is:
We know that the political situation of a country is changeable. And my country’s political situation has been changed now. My political party is in power and they win the last elections. So I think that it’s not going to be more persecution in my native country.
Does US Government protect me from any harassment that might happen if I travel back to my country even though I’m now Permanent Resident of USA ? I don’t know if US government will protection me or I have to wait (4 more years) to become US Citizen and after that I can be protected.

Please advice.

Thank you,

Llokumi_NY said:
Hello,

I have some questions please.

I have applied for Asylee Adjustment to Permanent Resident Status.
And my application (I-485 ) has been approved and I received my Permanent Resident Card (I-551)

My question is, do you think that now I can travel back to my country to see my mother who I did not see for over 4 years, could cause a problem and might drive the I.N.S. to take an action to reopen my case and withdraw my new status.

And assuming here that it will be OK to travel back for a visit, can I renew my passport or would this be a sign of asking for a re-protection from the country of persecution.
If I can't renew it, do I have to apply for refuge travel document or a re-entry permit as a replacement to my passport ?

I’m seeing the Publication for Asylee M-661 (12/5) Please take a look at www.uscis.com
My comment for this is:
We know that the political situation of a country is changeable. And my country’s political situation has been changed now. My political party is in power and they win the last elections. So I think that it’s not going to be more persecution in my native country.
Does US Government protect me from any harassment that might happen if I travel back to my country even though I’m now Permanent Resident of USA ? I don’t know if US government will protection me or I have to wait (4 more years) to become US Citizen and after that I can be protected.

Please advice.

Thank you,

This subject have been raised few times already and we could not come to any conclusion. Yes you possibly could travle back to COP and a lot of asylees do that even before getting their green cards. But nobody could assure you that US Government will not question your asylum status after that (the chances are very slim though). I personally have been questioned at JFK about if I ever renewed my passport or visited COP few days ago after my trip to Turkey.
The US Governemnt will not attempt to protect you if you'll be in trouble. You'll be on your own. So use your judgement. A lot of us didn't see their loved ones for a long time.

Good luck!

My GREEN CARD INFO. ( I hope someone will be happy with this info because Green Cards are going to be approved faster now from INS) GOOD LUCK all !
Request For Intital Evidence (RFI): Jan-2006
BIO(Code 3) requested: Jan-2006
BIO(Code 3) done: Feb-2006
RFI Sent: March-2006
RFI received by TSC: Mar-2006
Date Approved on card is: April-2005
GC in hand: April-2006

Note
The GC came to me one year old.

In 6 months I received the GC in my hand.Calculating the time when I applied at INS office.

Everyone will get the GC soon. YEAH :)