asylum and work permit

DRMAHEEN

Registered Users (C)
Hi All

I applied for asylum in June and work permit in November 2013 but I am still waiting for my hearing and my work permit. does anybody have an idea that what is the average time of getting work permit and hearing of asylum at Chicago office these days.

thanks

For interview date in Chicago, I think it will be a while. One of the person I know filed from Minnesota and haven't heard anything for last one year. So, if you are local to Illinois, it will be sooner.
As for EAD, it usually takes 30 days but at worst case, it can take up to 6 months (like in my case where my signature was little big which resulted in a hold and RFE). So, relax and try calling the USCIS and ask for an update. You can open a service request if it crossed 30 days since you filed.
For your information, 30 days if its an asylum case and 90 days if its other kind of EAD.

Thank you so much for your reply. I applied asylum from Detroit. if I change my address from Detroit to Chicago would it influence m case in any way. I mean expedite?
I call USCIS office tomorrow becoz its more than 60days now :(

There are chances but no one knows for sure.
I think the AOs comes in the circuit to the near office in your state once in a while but in that time, lot of other people are already waiting or scheduled so it takes a while but if you are local, then they can schedule whenever they get a chance.

Hi all,
I had interview in February and my case is pending and no decision is made by now. In July I can apply for work permit. Do you think applying for work permit before USCIS decision, have a negative effect on my case result?

Thanks

Hi all,
I had interview in February and my case is pending and no decision is made by now. In July I can apply for work permit. Do you think applying for work permit before USCIS decision, have a negative effect on my case result?

Thanks

it has no effect on your case at all