Asylee adjustment INS Statistics

This is my letter to my senator. Hope it\'ll be useful.

Dear Senator Feinstein,

I am a {xx} year old immigrant from country. I live at {address}. I came to California from {country} in {year}. I was granted political asylum in {year}. And I filed application to adjustment to permanent resident in {year} as an asylee.

I am grateful for this great nation to have given me a chance to live without fear and persecution. I love this country and I am eager to integrate into it and be an American.

I am writing to you because I think there are serious problems in the adjustment of asylees.

By law there is only 10,000 quota for the adjustment of asylees each year. A few days ago INS released the statistics for annual report, legal immigration, Fiscal Year 2000 and 1999. According to the reports, in FY 2000, they adjusted 6,858 asylees, in FY 1999, only 3,357 and in FY 1998 only 7548. According to FY 1999 report, there are currently about 87,000 asylee adjustment cases pending. While asylees have to wait for up to 9 years to get a GC, INS is wasting so much of the 10,000 quota. The mismanagement of INS is outrageous!

I know that there is also a bill S.1311 to eliminate the 10,000 yearly quota. I hope you\'ll support this bill.

I will become permanent resident and will become citizen eventually. I don\'t see there is any benefit in delaying this process. It only brings a lot of unnecessary hassles to asylees and to the INS. It only wastes energy and money on asylees and INS. The delay also prevent asylees to integrated into the society. It delays the time asylees become voters.

I hope you will take care of this matter and address the problems affecting many people who finally found a free life in America.

Regards
{name}