arrested for speeding and filing 485

permsac

Registered Users (C)
Hi All
As Priority dates have become current now, i am going to file I485. My I140 is still pending.
I was charged for "Speeding over 30", arrested for it and appeared in court. They ordered me some hours of community service, some fine and driving school. I completed all of that. But i have to appear in court in Nov 2007 to show them all that, most probably if god's with me it will be not convicted.
My roblem is i am filing now for 485 - Should i say "yes" to the question "been arrested, cited, charged, indicted, fined or imprisoned for breaking or violating any law or ordinance, excludingtraffic violations?" was mine a traffic voilation. Also when i was arrested i was fingerprinted and they took a photo also.

Please let me know ASAP, i need to file 485. Whats will happen if i say "YES" :confused:

Thanks

If they took your finger print and pic. means arrest was not simply due to speeding. Please find out more under what charges you got arrested.

Hope it is only for traffic charges.

Hi All
As Priority dates have become current now, i am going to file I485. My I140 is still pending.
I was charged for "Speeding over 30", arrested for it and appeared in court. They ordered me some hours of community service, some fine and driving school. I completed all of that. But i have to appear in court in Nov 2007 to show them all that, most probably if god's with me it will be not convicted.
My roblem is i am filing now for 485 - Should i say "yes" to the question "been arrested, cited, charged, indicted, fined or imprisoned for breaking or violating any law or ordinance, excludingtraffic violations?" was mine a traffic voilation. Also when i was arrested i was fingerprinted and they took a photo also.

Please let me know ASAP, i need to file 485. Whats will happen if i say "YES" :confused:

Thanks
1) "Speeding over 30" is a criminal offense in quite a few states and good enough for you to be arrested.
2) I-485, you HAVE TO answer yes. Lying on that form can get you deported and barred for life in order to enter to US. Hence even if had they decided not charge you(which is not the case), you still have to answer "Yes". Basically, if are arrested, even if detained, you have to answer yes. There is no doubt about that and you should not have any. You were even fingre printed, hence FBI will have this record forever, even if you get the record expunged. Expunged cases do not get expunged in the eyes of USCIS. 10 years down the line if USCIS asks this question, you got to answer yes. Expunged records only help you when you have to answer this question to civil authorities or private companies..
3) I am not trying to scare you.. just trying to get you prepared.
4) Get you police report and court case disposition record, as and when the case gets over. If they expunge it, they wont give it you.. so get it before and after..
5) Your offence dot make you inadmissible or deportable.. you should not have a problem in getting your GC. But yes, you will be interviewed and they will check all your court and police report related papers in person before you get it.
6) If you need to get visa stamp, this question is there too, hence check yes there to.. they also will fingreprint you and do a security check on you. It will delay your process.. 3 days to upto 2 months.. you may be stuck for some time time abroad when you await clearenece.. you will get your visa.. but with a note on it.. "hit.doesnt warrrant exclusion".. kinda..

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not consult a traffic law attonery for a clear answer? I know most of the traffic attonery will charge $100-150 for a consultation.