Argument with wife and Affect on Green Card.

GcardHelp

Registered Users (C)
I have got my 485 approval and am going for stamping next week. I had a major argument with my wife this weekend and we were on the verge of divorce. Yesterday, my wife decided to leave me and go to her friend's place. I had some immigration related documents at work (like passport etc) and she went to the local police station complaining about that. She told the cops a false story that I threatened her and other stuff. She gave them my work number and I got a call from the Officer.

I immediately clarified to the officer and also told him that my wife is welcome to have those documents anytime. I had just taken them to make some copies. He told me if I could drop them off in local police station. I said YES I could. So in 15 minutes I went to the police station and dropped them to my wife.

Then there were some more docs needed by my wife so I requested the officer to come to our apartment and then I will give those docs to her in his presence. The officer was just wanting to make sure that the document's were handed over to my wife. I told the officer about the things my wife does. She takes advantage of being a woman and always threatens to call cops on me if we have any sort of argument which does not go her way. I have been facing this harassment for 3 yrs. I told him that I felt more comfortable with him being there so there is proof. I did not get arrested or recieve any warning at all.

He said that all remaing property split can be discussed in court with our respective attorneys. Then I left back to work after shaking the officer's hand. My wife also went to her friend's home.

Now we have patched up and she is back. Could this affect my background history in any way. Is this considered any type of criminal offense. My wife says that she did not file any sort of written complaint at all. She said everything discussed with the officer was just verbal and she just wanted her documents back. She had told the police that we had a fight and she is leaving. The officer asked her if there was any physical/verbal assault and she said NO there was not. (Although I am not sure if i can totally believe her on this )

I have a trip coming up to India and want to be sure that they will not deport me. I am really worried. Is there a way to verify that my record is clean even though I never got arrested at all.

Gurus: Please help me on this.

Thanks in advance !!

GcardHelp

Sorry to hear about the situation you are in. Anyways, since there is no police record, you should be fine. Moreover, you have your approval. Stamping should be fine.

Good luck.

-fb-

GcardHelp,

There should not be any issues in stamping once you got the approval.

Thanks,
-Honeybee
:D

Sorry to hear! Don't worry nothing will happen for your GC... you are fine and safe.

why don't you wait for your original card and travel... for safer side!

Last edited by a moderator:
saphr485 said:
Sorry to hear! Don't worry nothing will happen for your GC... you are fine and safe.

why don't you wait for your original card and travel... for safer side!

Thanks a lot !! I thought Passport Stamp is the same thing as a Plastic Card. Isnt it ?

Just like how you are required to stick with ur GC sponsoring employer for atleast 6 months after getting GC is there a similar law for a spouse who gets her GC as a beneficiary.

Thanks,

c610 said:
Just like how you are required to stick with ur GC sponsoring employer for atleast 6 months after getting GC is there a similar law for a spouse who gets her GC as a beneficiary.

Thanks,
No. I am quite sure it is not. The spouse is free to work anywhere at any time. In my case my wife has been working as soon as she got EAD. She has changed jobs 3 times so there is no requirement for her to stay with her employer because she was just a derivative. Not the primary applicant.

I think even there is no such requirement for the primary to stick around for 6 months although people do that anyway jsut to be safe during citizenship.

c610 said:

Thanks,

if a spouse gets the gc based on marriage to a US citizen, then there is a restriction - they have to prove after 2 years that they are still married, and after that thet are free to f*#$ off!

I think those six months with employer are after filing I-485 and beofe getting approval, not after getting approval ??
is that right ??

Boss

I dont think you need any help with the GC.. looks like that should be fine... if any, you may need help with your marriage ...
:) Pun intended!

Cheers! Dont worry!

Recently, i saw a movie in which there was a dialogue " Every couple who is married for more than a week thinks about gettting divorced atleast once" ... so, since u patched up...no worries , relax and enjoy ur life - one day at a time...

Arranged marriage

I thought arranged marriage in Indian is the smartest thing to do. Almost all my Indian friends have great family/spouse. Something must be wrong with the reading the match maker error.

Sorry to hear your story. I had a traffic ticket, was worry about that, posted a thread, everyone told me it was not a problem. I don't think yours is a problem either.

Listen to Dr. Phil's tape may help.