Are you exempt from the public charge ground of inadmissibility?

Hey, everyone!
i-485 - > Part 8. -> Declaration of Self-Sufficiency (Form I-944).
I am DV selectee and Asylum Pending at the same time.
I have never obtained and not planning to obtain any help from the government of the US and sustain myself only by what I earn myself.

What should I choose:
Are you exempt from the public charge ground of inadmissibility?
Yes? No?

PS. I'm concerned because I might be not understanding the question right. I understand it as "You are not going to get any money from the government", but maybe I am wrong....

google is your friend!

https://www.uscis.gov/news/public-charge-fact-sheet

Congress has carved out certain exemptions to the public charge ground of inadmissibility, including:
  • Refugees;
  • Asylees;
  • Certain T and U nonimmigrant visa applicants (human trafficking and certain crime victims, respectively); and
  • Certain self-petitioners under the Violence Against Women Act.
For a full list of exempt classes of aliens, see 8 CFR 212.23 and the USCIS Policy Manual, Volume 8 – Admissibility, Part G - Public Charge Ground of Inadmissibility [8 USCIS-PM G].

You can only apply to adjust on one basis at a time. As you are applying based on DV and not on asylum, public charge applies to you, in other words you have to prove you will not become a public charge in order to get a green card.

google is your friend!

Congress has carved out certain exemptions to the public charge ground of inadmissibility, including:
  • Refugees;
  • Asylees;
  • Certain T and U nonimmigrant visa applicants (human trafficking and certain crime victims, respectively); and
  • Certain self-petitioners under the Violence Against Women Act.
For a full list of exempt classes of aliens, see 8 CFR 212.23 and the USCIS Policy Manual, Volume 8 – Admissibility, Part G - Public Charge Ground of Inadmissibility.

You can only apply to adjust on one basis at a time. As you are applying based on DV and not on asylum, public charge applies to you, in other words you have to prove you will not become a public charge in order to get a green card.
Thank you, Susie!
I knew what the public charge was. The problem was with the language itself: "exempt" from "inadmissibility" was very hard to comprehend.

Thank you, Susie!
I knew what the public charge was. The problem was with the language itself: "exempt" from "inadmissibility" was very hard to comprehend.
someone is inadmissible (may not be admitted) to the US if they can not overcome public charge concerns, as a general rule
certain types of immigrants are exempt from this general rule
therefore they are exempt from the public charge ground of inadmissibility

(there are obviously other grounds of inadmissibility too)