AR-11 Question...interesting!

cortiz822

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone!

My wife will file for naturalization next year but she needs to file AR-11.
We came across of this "term" from the Glossary of Terms from A Guide to Naturalization from the USCIS website.

AR-11, Alien’s Change of Address Card – This is the form
you use to tell USCIS when you have moved to a new address. The
AR-11 is pre-printed with USCIS’ address. It is very important to tell
USCIS when your address changes. This way you will receive any
information we send you, including interview notices and requests for
additional documents.

I've read several threads about AR-11, most say that AR-11 is for change of address only for physical change of address not for mailing address.
How about if USPS doesn't deliver mail to our new address? Then if we submit the AR-11 with our new physical address we won't be able receive mails from USCIS.

Because I still wonder what address to provide on the "Present Address" part of AR-11. Mailing or Physical Address?

Thanks!

As per my understanding it should be the physical address. They probably should change the form to include a physical address and a mailing address.

Another interpretation is that it could be like the address asked for in the 1040 tax forms. There they want it to be a physical address unless USPS does not deliver mail to the street address, in which case a PO Box is acceptable.

BTW, I haven't done any research to answer your question, just expressing my take on the matter.

The AR-11 description provided in the "A Guide to Naturalization" conflicts the answers given to most of the threads about AR-11.

If per this guide, the AR-11's purpose is for USCIS mails to reach individuals.
My case here is that, USPS does NOT deliver mail to our physical address, so if we provide our physical address then mails from USCIS will not reach us if they are going to use the physical address for mailing purposes.

Therefore, what to do if you want to let USCIS to know that you presently live in this address A, and also have them take note that they should send mails to address B (i.e. a PO Box)?
Remember, our case is different because my wife is filing the AR-11 before the N-400. Most of the threads are the opposite.

Suriyan, you're right they should revise the AR-11 form to provide for "physical" & "mailing" address.

It's just odd that you want to comply with the law & yet there are a lot of confusion in filling up this form.

We just want to fill up the form the right way so that any future problems may be prevented.